Emily Blake's Reviews > The Selection

The Selection by Kiera Cass

bookshelves: 2012, arc, for-review, own, dystopian, favorites, love-the-cover, review, ya-romance, young-adult

*An ARC was provided by HarperTeen in exchange for an honest review*

I don't usually go for books like this one, with the whole princess competition thing going on (actually I've never even started one because they don't look good), but let me tell you, this book is amazing.

I loved it. That's all I can say. It went right into the story, and I was hooked from page one. I just couldn't stop reading. The plot was AMAZING!! I loved how Kiera Cass manipulated the characters (Aspen) to make America sign up, and then dropped him, but still kept him around. Does that make any sense to you? I probably didn't explain that right, but I did my best. :D
About half-way through the book I stopped and looked at all the pages I had left to read and there were still like twenty girls left and I was like HOW IS SOMEONE GOING TO WIN WHEN THERE'S ONLY FIFTY PAGES LEFT? Well, when I finished, my question was answered: None did. Kiera Cass decided to put me through the torture of the biggest cliffhanger ever and not tell me who won. HOW COULD YOU DO THAT TO ME?!?!

From page one America was in an interesting situation, what with getting Selected and having Aspen as a boyfriend. This book wouldn't have been anywhere near as good as it is if it didn't have the love triangle. I usually don't like books with it in them, but it totally worked for this one.
I love Maxon. He is totally misunderstood. He isn't stiff, aloof, mean. He's actually really sweet and CUTE.
The other side of the triangle is Aspen. I don't like him. The little slime-ball dumped America because she gave him some food then had the gal to come crying back to her. I hope she ends up with Maxon.
And, last but not least, I really liked America. The whole theme with her in the Selection was that she wanted to be herself, not someone fake, and I really like that. She's a very strong character and speaks her mind. Sort of like me. :P

All in all, I BETTER GET THE SECOND BOOK ASAP OR I WILL EXPLODE!! DO YOU FEEL MY PAIN, KIERA???

Before I sign off I have to give a huge thanks to Kiera Cass (for answering all my messages and passing on my request for an ARC) and to HarperTeen for sending me a copy. THANKS!!!!!!

~Emily @ Emily's Crammed Bookshelf

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Selection.

December 9, 2011 – Shelved
December 27, 2011 – Shelved as: review
December 27, 2011 – Shelved as: ya-romance
December 27, 2011 – Shelved as: young-adult
December 27, 2011 – Shelved as: favorites

Comments Showing 1-48 of 48 (48 new)

Emily Blake I love this book!!

Ezmirelda Love your review Emily! Can't wait to read the Selection. :)

Emily Blake Thanks. You'll love it when you read it. It's simply amazing. :)

message 4: by Monica (new)

Monica Soileau I completely agree with this review! The others who are dissing this book apparently have no other life other than to bitch. What dimwits we inhabit this earth with.

Seaspray13 I totally agree about Maxon and Aspen... MAXON!

message 6: by Bec (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bec I loved it too! I was scrolling down trying to find others who liked it. Wish the haters would stop being so harsh in their reviews, it puts others off reading a book they may actually enjoy.

Emily Blake Yeah I know. I can't wait for the second one to come out! I'm hoping it's as good! Glad you enjoyed it!!!! :)

Kastia the second needs to get here quick!!

Emily Blake Haha I know!

message 10: by Bec (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bec That's the problem with all these series coming out, is that every time you finish a book you can't wait for the next one which is usually a year away! I have so many pre-orders on Book Depository and so many series, I've had to write up a spreadsheet of each of them, so I don't get them mixed up. Sad I know, haha - but what's a girl to do ;-)

Emily Blake I know, it kills me! That's why I like reading ARCs. I read an ARC of The Selection, so now it's an even longer wait for me to read the second one. And haha that's so funnny :P

Brinley Knowles Finally a review that actually captures the awesomeness of this book!!!

Emily Blake HAHA thanks! :)

message 14: by Chloe (new)

Chloe Whats with all the hater?! I can honestly say this is my favourite book i reread it for the sixth time yesterday! I find it amazing!!!

Emily Blake Haha you've read it SIX times. Lol. And yeah, this book is amazing, I don't know how anyone could NOT like it!

message 16: by M. (new) - rated it 5 stars

M. Amazing review! I loved The Selection :)

Emily Blake Thanks!! :)

message 18: by Kate (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kate Evans I totally agree BOO Aspen YAY Maxon

Imasha Totally love and agree with your review Emily!! I can't decide Between Aspen and Maxon!!!!

Emily I have to say this book is one of the best princessie books I have ever read but I have to say that cover wow! I want that dress all in all a very good review with a fittingly perfect book to match!

Imasha I know Right!!! It was so good! I totally agree! The light blue dress is soo gorgeous!! Haha! That's so true ;)

Caitlin @Monica - have any of these negative reviewers attacked your intelligence as you have directly attacked theirs? they have a right to their opinion and a right to post their opinion just as you o yours and if you look at the average stars for this book it looks like you're on the winning team.

I'm glad all of you loved this book and that you eagerly await its sequel but many of us didn't, please accept that.

message 23: by Rose (new) - rated it 5 stars

Rose there was so many who hate it but im glad some do it was awesome. I agree my votes with Maxon.

message 24: by Rose (new) - rated it 5 stars

Rose do like it, i mean

Imasha Yeah. If you hate the book fine. Nobody should interfere. It's your opinion.
If you like the books then SO DO I!! I loved the story it was so interesting. I thought it'll be boring but it was so cool!

message 26: by Rose (new) - rated it 5 stars

Rose me too. i thought the book would be boring but it suprised me and was really good.

Imasha IKR!!! I especially loved the gorgeous cover!! The dress is so pretty!!

Rachel Loved your review! I just made my account today, and I'm trying my hand at writing reviews but I'm thinking it's not going to work out too well after reading yours! I honestly don't know what there is to hate about this book! I ABSOLUTELY loved it and read it from beginning to end in less than 24 hours after buying it! I would recommend this book to anyone, and thanks to Emily, maybe people will recognize that all those people who gave bad ratings are just haters. Kiera Cass is now on my favorite authors list! Thank you, Kiera:)!

Rachel Oops sorry. I take back the haters part.. I really didn't mean that. But if people didn't think this book was good, I don't know what is! Btw, I love Maxon!

message 30: by Maya (new) - rated it 3 stars

Maya H. OMG yay finally a review that did not lack brains!!!

message 31: by Maya (new) - rated it 3 stars

Maya H. Of course, everyone has a right to dislike a book, but Im sticking with my opinion :p

Imasha Hahaha lets all agree that Emily loved this and so did other people.
We can love it or we can hate it.
I personally loved it:)
but one thing i hate is how long its taking for the third book - the one- to come out.
Im dying to read it

message 33: by Jenn (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jenn Torm I totally agree with you, the non-ending sucked! And I really liked the main character for not wearing a lot of jewelry and being herself, I liked that personality!

Imasha hahaha ikr!! yeah! simple yet stylish!

message 35: by Gertrude (new)

Gertrude Emily,

Your review has been stolen and posted on Amazon by another 'reviewer.' I have reported abuse but you may also want to.

This is the link: http://www.amazon.com/review/RX51BLD6...

message 36: by [deleted user] (new)

The blue dress is so America

Deepashri Thanks for the right and awesome review Emily!! I loved this book!!

Madison Smothers I agree completely with your overview of the book! I loved how Kiera Cass left you hanging and how she added so many twists to it. America is a great character who represents the book well. I also love the love triangle America has with Maxon and Aspen. This book is a great book and I recommend it to everyone who loves a book with a lot of twists and changes.

Likei Roland yeah... ur review is awesome! I really did enjoy how she left me on a cliffhanger, I love books like that,i want some thing to make want to read the second book..... I love maxon I mean, he is every thing I like in a guy, thumbs up keirra... and omg aspen was annoying like get away u freaking dumped her,and made her come here only to fall in love with maxon and now you want to come like nothing happened. ok that is messed up.

message 40: by Anna (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anna Roth I'm sorry, I don't mean to be rude, but why did you do that? Why on earth would you completely ruin the book for me? Next time, mark it with SPOILERS. People read reviews to see whether they think they want to read it, not to find out the entire plot.

message 41: by Dmitry (new)

Dmitry brazil

Jenny I love this book.

Eesha aspen woulds've seemed great if he wasn't sp pbsessed with being the provider

Eesha maxon is awesome and I feel sorry he has to wait so long for america to make her choice

Veronica When I first began reading this book I didn't think that it was that bad but after reading only a couple chapters I realized what a copy cat the author is. She's completely unoriginal! The plot line is almost exactly the same as the hunger and she didn't even bother to change a lot of the characters. The main character America has a secret boyfriend ( um... Gale) who she brings food to because he's starving and as the eldest child in the family has to look over his mother and brothers. One of his brothers was whipped in the square! Sound familiar? How about that aspen's physical description matches gale's almost perfectly? And then she's talked into entering herself into a lottery system in which people from across the country will be doing in order to fight for a prince. Let's all just be thankful though that her younger sister was too young. Even the prince looks like peeta! And once she's forced to wear these extravagant outfits she finds that her favorite of the people who she met included the guy who is in charge of her wardrobe. It's just coincidence that he looks just like Cinna! That's as far as I've gotten and it's as far as I need to.

Spring Baxter Emily,
I also don't usually read books like this. However, I was hooked after chapter 3. What an amazing adventure. Such a shock, as I don't like the bachelorette or bachelor. Haha

Shekinah Abalajon ughhhh yeah I love the selection series! I cried lately cuz i can't believe that "The One" is over 3 btw can you suggest me guys any book that are related to the selection? thanks a lot! :D

Brooklyn Norton Girl I totally agree!! This series gives me life!! As soon as I finished a book I just had to get the next one!