Kathy - Books & Munches's Reviews > Imber

Imber by Tyffany Hackett

bookshelves: arc-s, read-in-2019, favorites

First things first. Have you ever read a slow-paced fantasy novel with a focus more on the main character's growth and emotions? Because, before Imber, I honestly hadn't. Throughout most of the story, Imber's focused more on the emotional side of things than the adventure and plot. The uniqueness of it is something I absolutely lived for throughout my entire reading experience.

You're pulled into Natylia's POV and see her struggles, her emotions, her dreams and hopes. You experience how she grows from start to finish. Not to mention the social anxiety she struggles with! A princess who's bound to attend social events at numerous occasions and struggles with social anxiety! One point to diversity! Also, she's afraid of heights. Now there is something that had my skin crawling since I struggle with the same thing. The way Natylia experiences heights felt a bit too familiar and I actually found myself shivering while reading.
But that's not all. One of the side characters, a witch called Meryn, is queer. On top of that, all our characters talk about queer relationships as if it's the most natural thing in the world because.. well.. in their world it is! Imagine my twinkling eyes upon making that discovery!

I had always wanted a storybook adventure and now that I was living one I wished the story would return to the pages.

Apart from Meryn, we also have Jyn and Camion. And this is where things.. are shout-worthy in the least. Jyn and Nat's relationship? Totally platonic, people. He's her bodyguard and there's simply friendship there. Nothing else. They're close, very close but it never progresses into anything more than that. Do we ever see that? I can't even remember the last time I saw a platonic relationship like this one.
Adding that this doesn't automatically mean there's no romantic aspect to be found though - just saying.

Not only the content of the story did the trick though. The writing was beautiful as well. Descriptive, but not over the top so. Just the right combination of describing things and still managing to be "straight-forward".

I lit the candle beside me and tried to read, to lose myself in the words that floated in front of me. There was safety in books, warmth and predictability in the character's lives and worlds.

I'm putting this at the end, simply because it isn't something "good", but it isn't a bad thing either. It's more.. a personal issue due to my pregnancy? Which equals having a disastrous attention span and memory. I'm pretty sure this affected my reading at times because I had a hard time envisioning surroundings, even though they were described properly and beautifully. I'm not even blaming the book for this because I know it's my pregnancy brain getting the better of me.

4.5 / 5!

Definitely a book worth reading if you like slower paced fantasy novels with a character-focused style instead of a plot-focused one! And I'll be keeping my eyes out for the sequel - that's for sure. I even went as far as ordering a physical copy of Imber because.. well.. this author deserves all the support she can get!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Imber.

July 8, 2018 – Shelved
page 402
January 11, 2019 – Finished Reading
January 16, 2019 – Shelved as: read-in-2019
January 30, 2019 – Shelved as: favorites

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

message 1: by Sam (new) - added it

Sam Darn it, Kathy! Why do you have to write reviews that make me want to read books?!? lol. I already have so many on my TBR, but this one sounds great. And I trust your recommendations so...hopefully I can get around to it soon-ish.