Lisa Vegan's Reviews > The Road

The Road by Cormac McCarthy

Jun 27, 2007

bookshelves: fiction, bookclub, orphaned-and-quasi-orphaned-kids, reviewed, groups-buddies, novel, speculative-fiction, 1-also-at-lt
Recommended for: adults & some teens who enjoy post-apocalyptic books
Read in January, 2008

I read the first 1/3 of this book during a power outage on a rainy and gloomy day, which was the perfect atmosphere for the experience of reading this particular book. I do love post-apocalyptic books and this is probably the best one that I’ve read. It’s very minimalist (a style I don’t usually like but appreciated in this case); it’s poetic and beautifully written. The story, for me, was very suspenseful and also very difficult emotionally.

There were a couple of things that happened at the end of the book that kept me from giving it 5 stars. That, and feeling that if I rated this book with 5 stars, I’d have to go back and change some of the other books I’ve read from 4 to 5 star ratings.

But I highly recommend it to adults and teens who can enjoy (very) dark books.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Road.

message 1: by Sfdreams (new)

Sfdreams Lisa,
Not sure if this is a book that I could enjoy...Do you think I could enjoy it, or is it too dark for me? (I vaguely remember you mentioning it in one of our phone conversations.)

Lisa Vegan Terri sweetie, WAY too dark for you, I think. Although lots of love gets us through within the hopelessness so I'm not 100% sure, but I wouldn't recommend it to you.

Cecily What a perfect way to read it; just a shame the power returned before you'd finished!

Lisa Vegan Cecily wrote: "What a perfect way to read it; just a shame the power returned before you'd finished!"

Thanks, Cecily. It was, but I'm kind of glad the power did come back. The book is creepy enough as it is.