Eric T. Voigt's Reviews > Reader’s Block

Reader’s Block by David Markson

Dec 09, 2011

bookshelves: winter-eleven-twelve

A very enjoyable read, but am I going to remember it? I think I'll remember select lines, and the gist of the structure, and how it caught me off guard in the beginning to mellow away into simply being a nice, unsurprising and curiously long read. I like it, but with so little original writing in it I feel a little like I read an annotated encyclopedia. Which maybe it's supposed to be? On to "High Lonesome" by Barry Hannah, which I think is going to rile me up. And "Correction" looked to be heading into saucy territory. Who am I amongst?, who are the fellow readers of Hannah and Bernhard at the moment? And Markson, I supposed. I'm looking forward to his more fictional works.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Reader’s Block.

December 9, 2011 – Shelved
December 11, 2011 – Started Reading
page 9
4.64% "The snow is melting but the children are playing. Less cold, more damp. That's the situation."
page 27
13.92% "A revelation."
page 27
13.92% "Do I have the biggest soft spot for self-reference and trivia? I suppose when it's trivia I get, interesting trivia, and when the self-reference is witty and doesn't seem forced. The book is built on it. Instead of... having it be an incidental thing? Or, no, worse than that, instead of being a hard nudge and a big wet wink. Like fucking John Barth! I think I hate his "look at ME" style. I get it. It's you, John."
December 12, 2011 –
December 15, 2011 –
page 125
December 20, 2011 –
page 188
96.91% "Feign wod lie down, Finna."
December 20, 2011 – Shelved as: winter-eleven-twelve