J.L. Sutton's Reviews > Annihilation

Annihilation by Jeff VanderMeer

Blown away by Jeff VanderMeer’s Annihilation (Southern Reach #1)! An expedition made up of four women known only by their profession: anthropologist, surveyor, psychologist and our narrator, the biologist, investigates a mysterious netherworld which has been cut off from their continent (Area X). This is the twelfth such expedition. All previous expeditions have ended in failure and death.

This story is somewhat creepy and very mysterious. We have scant clues to figure out what happened on previous missions and why the current mission isn’t going so well either. On top of that our biologist is an unreliable narrator. We know she is changing, but how? Is she simply losing her mind or is there more going on than can be rationally explained? The idea of crossing boundaries is huge in this story so much so that the psychologist must hypnotize other team members so they can safely cross the border into Area X. This made me think of Blake Crouch’s Dark Matter where a drug is used to allow our mind to drop the barriers and see the dimensions that are all around us. Is something like that going on here? I don’t know, but it was an interesting touch.

The last section was a bit too reflective, but otherwise this worked for me. Before Annihilation, the only other work by VanderMeer I’d read was Borne. I liked Borne, but I didn’t think it lived up to its potential. For me, Annihilation delivers!
4.5 stars.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Annihilation.

July 8, 2018 – Started Reading
July 8, 2018 – Shelved
July 11, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)

Tammie I really enjoyed this series :)

message 2: by Paula (new)

Paula Kalin Sounds terrific! Excellent review, J.L.

J.L.   Sutton Thank you, Tammie and Paula! I'm looking forward to reading more in this series!

message 4: by Adina (new)

Adina I saw the movie and enjoyed Borne so I will probably appreciate this one as well. I wasn't a fan of Dark matter so i hope this one is better.

J.L.   Sutton Haven't seen the movie yet. But Annihilation is easily my favorite VanderMeer work so far.

message 6: by Emily (new)

Emily Appreciate your recs! Adding this one to my TBR.

J.L.   Sutton Thanks! Hope you enjoy, Emily!