BookAddict's Reviews > The Rule Breaker

The Rule Breaker by Cat Carmine

Emma Holloway is a blogger turned advice columnist who’s having her first signing for the new book she authored, “Miss Emma's Rules for Dating: A Guide to Modern Relationships,” which is where she meets Tyler. He’s none other than Tyler Grant, the new CEO of Good Grant Books, her book's publisher, and their first meeting is well, let’s just go with explosive. In the following days, no matter how hard she tries, Emma just can’t seem to stay away from Tyler. Not only does Murphy's Law seem to govern their interactions, Emma finds herself throwing out all of her own rules for dating when it comes to Tyler.

This author is one I can count on for a fun, steamy read with a refreshing amount of heart and emotional depth, and the early copy I read of this book is no different. Emma's character immediately appealed to me with her perfectionist streak and carefully ordered life, down to the smallest detail. It was pretty clear early on that having Tyler in her life would shake the foundation of her core beliefs about herself. Tyler was a wonderful hero with a party boy past who is forced to quickly grow up when he’s thrust into the role of CEO with his family's company. He takes to it fairly well until Emma enters his life and he can’t keep his mind off her. But his laid back, lighthearted approach is just what Emma needs to realize she can relax a little and not insist on everything being perfect. She gets that lesson in spades because every outing with Tyler pushes her boundaries and generally results in some form of public humiliation, which makes for some delightfully humorous reading.

As much as I found myself laughing out loud, I also felt my heart being tugged by tender, poignant scenes because this romance has just as much of the “feel good" as it does feeling. Tyler and Emma connected on several levels and really were perfect for each other, regardless of their very different personalities. Emma made simple, almost off-hand comments that had a profound impact on Tyler's life, and Tyler somehow managed to see all of Emma. Not just the perfect, accomplished Emma, but the Emma who long ago used to have fun, as well as the Emma in the process of becoming. And he loved every on of those Emmas. *swoon* Their story is lighthearted and fun, steamy and explosive, heartfelt and deep, and immensely rewarding and satisfying to read.

*I reviewed this book freely and voluntarily, having made no commitment to provide a review and receiving no compensation of any kind from any source for this review.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Rule Breaker.

May 1, 2018 – Shelved ( Edition)
May 1, 2018 – Shelved as: to-read ( Edition)
July 8, 2018 – Started Reading