Melissa's Reviews > The Wartime Sisters

The Wartime Sisters by Lynda Cohen Loigman

I was impressed by Lynda Cohen Loigman's debut, The Two-Family House, so I was thrilled to see that she had a new novel coming out. This one was even better than her previous one, which is hard to do when a debut sets such a bar for excellent writing.

I couldn't get enough of The Wartime Sisters and I didn't want it to end. Lynda combined sibling rivalry, Judaism, history, and women's issues during World War II to create a mesmerizing story. She really captured the feel of the early 1940's and I got a glimpse of what it was like to be on the home front during a time of enormous strife in the world.

Both Ruth and Millie were easy to connect with. I had a soft spot for Ruth with us both being the older sisters and expected to set an example for our siblings. However, Millie was a sympathetic character and it was good to know that she wasn't trying to steal the attention of men away from Ruth, especially since she didn't welcome it. There was more to her than how she was seen through Ruth's eyes. I liked that some other characters also had a voice in the story and I enjoyed getting to know them too.

Fun (personal) fact: Ruth and Millie's parents names were Florence and Morris. My late paternal grandparents were also named Florence and Morris. Furthermore, their last name was Kaplan and my paternal grandma's maiden name was Kaplan.

I really loved everything about this novel and highly recommend it. It publishes early next year, so be sure to add it to your shelf and move it to the top of your TBR pile as soon as you get it!

Movie casting suggestions:
Ruth: Lola Kirke
Millie: Natalia Dyer
Lillian: Kate Bosworth
Arietta: Keala Settle (This was my favorite part to cast and I couldn't think of anyone more deserving than "Lettie.")
Lenny: Cole Sprouse
Grace: January Jones

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Wartime Sisters.

July 8, 2018 – Shelved
July 8, 2018 – Shelved as: to-read
October 4, 2018 – Started Reading
October 8, 2018 –
page 230
October 8, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)

message 1: by Lloyd (new)

Lloyd Russell I'm looking forward to reading this one.
Funny thing about the names. My maternal grandfather was Morris.

Melissa Lloyd wrote: "I'm looking forward to reading this one.
Funny thing about the names. My maternal grandfather was Morris."

My maternal great-grandfather was also named Morris. I was named for him.
You will love this book. I can't wait to hear your thoughts!

message 3: by Amanda (new) - added it

Amanda I just read the Two Family House a few weeks ago and was excited to see a new book from the author - only to realize that it’s not been released yet. Putting it on my preorder list because I’m pretty sure I won’t be able to get it from the library ASAP.

Melissa Amanda wrote: "I just read the Two Family House a few weeks ago and was excited to see a new book from the author - only to realize that it’s not been released yet. Putting it on my preorder list because I’m pret..."

Hope you love it!

Suzanne Loved it as well!!!!

Melissa Suzanne wrote: "Loved it as well!!!!"

I knew you would. :)

message 7: by Elizabeth (new) - added it

Elizabeth Ooh, didn't know she had another book out. Will look into it :).

Melissa Elizabeth wrote: "Ooh, didn't know she had another book out. Will look into it :)."

Comes out in January. Enjoy!

message 9: by Elizabeth (new) - added it