Meredith's Reviews > After Nightfall

After Nightfall by A.J. Banner

liked it
bookshelves: netgalley

After Nightfall is a decent mystery with a solid twist.

When Marissa and Nathan throw an engagement dinner party, things don’t go as planned. Lauren, Marissa’s former childhood best friend, continuously flirts with Nathan, even though her husband Jensen is present. Making things worse, upon accepting Nathan’s proposal, Nathan’s 9-year-old daughter is visibly upset, as is his sister-in-law, Hedra.

When Lauren abruptly leaves the party, she tells Marissa she needs to speak with her about Nathan. Marissa, not too happy with Lauren, tells her they can talk the next day which turns out to be too late because Lauren winds up dead. Numerous characters come under suspicion for Lauren's murder, and Marissa needs to solve what happened to her former friend before she meets a similar fate.

The best thing about After Nightfall is the author’s ability to cast doubt on all of the characters. I was questioning everyone in this book, including the narrator. I also thought A.J. Banner did an amazing job of bringing the setting to life. I didn’t guess the murderer until close to the end, which was enjoyable (even though now that I think about there were some pretty obvious clues). There are some twists, but they are not too over-the-top.

On the other hand, I thought the dialogue to be choppy and rushed, which was distracting. I found Marissa’s character to be irksome. She was quite wishy-washy, which was fine, but I couldn’t wrap my head around her reactions to some of the events that occur.

Overall, this is a fast-paced, quick and easy read. I was able to read it over the course of a rainy day, and it served as the perfect distraction to the weather! I wasn’t wowed, but I was entertained!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read After Nightfall.

July 8, 2018 – Started Reading
July 8, 2018 – Shelved
July 8, 2018 – Shelved as: netgalley
July 8, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-50 of 51 (51 new)

message 1: by KAS (new)

KAS Glad this one kept you guessing, Meredith ;) Fabulous review!! xoxo

Holly  B Glad that is was entertaining Meredith! Great review.

Jaline - (on partial hiatus) Great review, Meredith! My rainy day was yesterday and I had my nose in a spreadsheet most of the time. :)

Norma * Traveling Sister Wonderful review, Meredith! :-)

message 5: by Miriam (new)

Miriam Smith Great review Meredith 😊

message 6: by Julie (new)

Julie Excellent review, Meredith!! 😊

message 7: by Maureen (new)

Maureen Fab review Meredith 😊

(Bern) Mom to 2 Posh Lil Divas Great review Meredith. Glad this was an entertaining, if not wowing read for you. It's coming up for me shortly.

Kendall I have this one as well! I’m glad to hear it’s a fast paced decent mystery! 😊

Meredith KAS wrote: "Glad this one kept you guessing, Meredith ;) Fabulous review!! xoxo"

Thanks so much, KAS!

Meredith Holly wrote: "Glad that is was entertaining Meredith! Great review."

Thank you, Holly!

message 12: by Paula (new)

Paula Kalin Terrific review, Meredith!

Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader Entertainment is always a good thing! Terrific review, Meredith!

message 14: by Babydimps (Suzy) (new)

Babydimps (Suzy) Super review Meredith! 😊

Susanne  Strong Nice review Meredith!

Meredith Jaline wrote: "Great review, Meredith! My rainy day was yesterday and I had my nose in a spreadsheet most of the time. :)"

So sorry you didn't have your nose in a book, Jaline! LOL!

Meredith Norma * Traveling Sister wrote: "Wonderful review, Meredith! :-)"

Thank you so much, Norma!

Meredith Miriam wrote: "Great review Meredith 😊"

Thank you, Miriam!

Meredith Julie wrote: "Excellent review, Meredith!! 😊"

Thank you, Julie!

Meredith Maureen wrote: "Fab review Meredith 😊"

Thank you so much, Maureen!

Mary Beth *Traveling Sister* Great review, Meredith! I love a book that keeps me guessing.

Brenda - Traveling Sister Great review, Meredith!

Alex ✰ Comets and Comments ✰ Stellar review, Meredith! <3

Meredith (Bern) Mom to 2 Posh Lil Divas wrote: "Great review Meredith. Glad this was an entertaining, if not wowing read for you. It's coming up for me shortly."

Thanks, Bern! Can't wait to see what you think!

message 25: by Supratim (new)

Supratim Nice review, Meredith!

Mackenzie - PhDiva Books Great review, Meredith!! I enjoyed this book as well, but I agree about the dialogue being choppy at times :)

Meredith Kendall wrote: "I have this one as well! I’m glad to hear it’s a fast paced decent mystery! 😊"

Thanks, Kendall! Looking forward to your thoughts!

Meredith Paula wrote: "Terrific review, Meredith!"

Thank you so much, Paula!

Meredith Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader & Traveling Sister wrote: "Entertainment is always a good thing! Terrific review, Meredith!"

Thank you, Jennifer!

Meredith Babydimps (Suzy) wrote: "Super review Meredith! 😊"

Thank you, Suzy!

message 31: by Deanna (new)

Deanna Great review, Meredith!

Meredith Susanne wrote: "Nice review Meredith!"

Thank you, Susanne!

message 33: by Victoria (new)

Victoria I've felt the same way lately, not wowed by much, but a few hours whiled away in entertainment isn't bad either. Thanks for the heads up on the dialogue, that would bug.

Meredith Mary Beth *Traveling Sister* wrote: "Great review, Meredith! I love a book that keeps me guessing."

Thank you so much, Mary Beth!

Meredith Brenda - Traveling Sister wrote: "Great review, Meredith!"

Thank you, Brenda!

message 36: by Lisa (new) - added it

Lisa Terrific review Meredith even though you weren't wowed adding this one sounds good <3 XO Hugs :)

Kaceey Great review Meredith! I have this one on my list!! Maybe I’ll wait for a rainy day too!!

message 38: by Fran (new)

Fran Lovely review, Meredith!

Meredith Alex ✰ Comets and Comments ✰ wrote: "Stellar review, Meredith! <3"

Thank you so much, Alex!

Meredith Supratim wrote: "Nice review, Meredith!"

Thank you, Supratim!

Meredith Mackenzie - Traveling Sister wrote: "Great review, Meredith!! I enjoyed this book as well, but I agree about the dialogue being choppy at times :)"

Thanks, Mackenzie! Glad you enjoyed it too!

message 42: by Melissa (new)

Melissa I really enjoyed the author’s last book, so I really wanna check this one out. I’m gonna keep some of your comments in mind though. 😉 Nice one, Meredith.

Meredith Deanna wrote: "Great review, Meredith!"

Thank you so much, Deanna!

Meredith Victoria wrote: "I've felt the same way lately, not wowed by much, but a few hours whiled away in entertainment isn't bad either. Thanks for the heads up on the dialogue, that would bug."

I'm still waiting for something to knock my socks off! This wasn't bad, it was just not amazing. It was definitely a good way to waste a way a day!

Meredith Lisa wrote: "Terrific review Meredith even though you weren't wowed adding this one sounds good <3 XO Hugs :)"

Thank you, Lisa! It's a fun read!

Meredith Kaceey - Traveling Sister wrote: "Great review Meredith! I have this one on my list!! Maybe I’ll wait for a rainy day too!!"

Thank you, Kaceey! It really helps set the tone for the book!

Meredith Fran wrote: "Lovely review, Meredith!"

Thank you so much, Fran!

Meredith Melissa wrote: "I really enjoyed the author’s last book, so I really wanna check this one out. I’m gonna keep some of your comments in mind though. 😉 Nice one, Meredith."

I liked her last one too, Melissa! This one has a lot of similar elements. Can't wait to see what you think!

message 49: by Cheri (new)

Cheri Wonderful review, Meredith, sometimes all you need is to be entertained!

Meredith Maddie wrote: "Good honest review Meredith xx"

Thank you so much, Maddie!

« previous 1