Jody Mena's Reviews > Immanuel's Veins

Immanuel's Veins by Ted Dekker

Dec 09, 2011

bookshelves: fiction

The gist of this book is that Christianity makes perfect sense, but only if vampires exist. Yet in spite of the preachy evangelical metaphors, it kept me hooked all the way through, and that just proves it was a really good book. I was lured to read this book by the tag line on the cover: "This book is for everyone, but not everyone is for this book."; like a moron, I took it as a challenge (thinking it was something more along the lines of the Marquis de Sade, silly me). It wasn't nearly so controversial as promised, and not even slightly life-changing, as promised in the testimonials in the front of the book (seriously, who are these people?); nevertheless, I found I couldn't stop reading. It was a real vampire story, no sparkles (Twilight) or tattoos (House of Night) or hard-boiled-necromancer-private-eye-with-a-male-harem (Anita Blake); don't get me wrong, I love it when the vampires are just misunderstood anti-heroes, but there's something to be said for the real, 18th century, Transylvania-esque setting, characters that are just black-and-white enough to make it a classic good-versus-evil fairy tale, and vampires that are sexy, evil, blood-drinking monsters, truly the bad guys for once. One complaint, I found Vlad's change of character a little forced near the end. There was no lead-up or reason given for the sudden change from a charming lover into a violent monster, other than as a convenient plot device for the reader to suddenly dislike him. Come to that, there was really no lead-up or reason for Toma's infatuation with Lucine, but that's romance novels for you, so it was a bit less vivid. Toma's conversion to Christianity was a little heavy handed; the author laid it on a little thick. Incidentally, the portrayal of the corrupt Bishop and Church were spot on. All told, it was a really good book, I couldn't put it down! If you can suspend your disbelief, you will surely find it an great romantic horror tale, and you may or may not find it 'life changing' - read it and find out!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Immanuel's Veins.