Jen 's Reviews > Die for Me

Die for Me by Amy Plum

Dec 08, 2011

bookshelves: audiobook
Read from May 28 to June 07, 2016

First read: 2011? 5 stars.
Reread via audio: May-June 2016. 4 stars

Powerful and moving, this book had a new unexpected twist, Revenants. Not vampires, werevolves, or faeries. And not exactly about angels, either. I loved it about this book, something different, FINALLY (not that I didn’t like any that were mentioned..) but I enjoyed this book so freaking much! The cover captured my attention, but the content was what really got me.

Set in Paris, Kate and her sister, Georgia, move there to live with their grandparents after their parent’s tragic death in a car accident. Kate is depressed at first, while Georgia is quite the opposite. Thanks to Georgia however, Kate finally leaves the house and soon meets Vincent. The charming, alluring boy that happens to be immortal. He is introduced as a revenant, the dead and undead. Or, as the revenants like to call it, “zombies”.
I have never heard of any book that had revenants in it, I thought it was so creative!

Revenants have to sleep for 3 days every couple of weeks. During the first day, their mind and body are unconscious. But the next 2 days, their mind can leave the body and travel elsewhere. Revenants can live forever, but their main job is to die for others, sacrifice, basically. They age, but when they die, they go back to the age they died first in. Revenants die permanently when burned. Of course, there has to be problem in the book. Which would be the revenant’s enemies, the numas.

At first, I was really annoyed of Vincent and Kate’s relationship. They fell in love way too fast. And for some reason, it just didn’t feel right. But I got used to it soon afterwards. Strangely though, I couldn’t picture a “Vincent” in my head. In other books, I could always picture the main guy, because most of the time, the main female character always describes her lover thoroughly. But Kate didn’t, so it was bit hard for me to connect with their relationship. I thought the whole revenant family was amazing though. They all seemed tied together and happy, blood related or not.

If I must say, THE ENDING WAS SO INCREDIBLE. Near the end, there is a fight between the numas and the revenants, and when Lucien (the numa leader) finds his way into the revenant home, Kate and Georgia are stuck fighting Lucien while Lucien is trying to throw Vincent’s dormant body into the fire. I noticed that while I was reading this intense part, MY WHOLE BODY WAS TENSED UP, and I was nearly falling off my bed. It was THAT intense. Because there was no solution that I could think of for Kate and Vincent and Georgia to survive. But Amy Plum surprises the reader, with something so impossible that you are taken by surprise and satisfied.

If not for the new creative creature of revenants, this book would have been boring and just like any teen paranormal romance novel. But because of this new concept, I absolutely LOVED it. I think it deserves a place on every YA reader’s must-read pile! I absolutely CANNOT wait for book two, Until I Die!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Die for Me.

05/28/2016 marked as: read
05/28/2016 marked as: currently-reading
05/28/2016 marked as: read
05/29/2016
10.0% "Oohh I'm liking the audio so far!"
06/07/2016 marked as: read