Monique's Reviews > Playing Dirty

Playing Dirty by Amy Andrews

F 50x66

Valerie King could not remember a birthday that she had been happy to celebrate. She was having martinis in a bar, when the celebrated new addition to the Sydney Smoke chats her up. Val knows very well who he is, but it’s obvious he doesn’t because he would stay away from her. But he is nice, funny, and Val wants him badly, if only to forget that dreaded birthday, and to get back at her dad, coach Griff King, if only in her mind. Alas, all good things come to an end when Griff hears about it.

I love the Sydney Smoke Rugby series so much, that when I saw there was a new instalment, I grabbed it right away, not even bothering to read who it was about! We knew there would be Val’s romance at some point, but with Griff’s policy of non-fraternisation between Val and his players, we also knew it would be explosive, and it is! But Val hit the jackpot with Kyle; he is just wonderful, and even though he makes one mistake towards the end, he really meant well. The romance was really difficult, because of Val’s father, but it provides the reader with some of Ms. Andrews most inspired writing; some scenes are heartbreaking, others so testosterone-fuelled, I was almost hiding behind my e-reader, there was so much testosterone! Griff is a nearly terrifying presence; he is an extraordinary character and adds much to the story.

PLAYING DIRTY is, as expected, an excellent read, quick and sexy, and although it was amusing to some extent, there was a bit of a circus going on towards the end. Although I know I will be in the minority here, but I could have done without the epilogue. I liked part of it because important matters were settled, but on the whole, it was precisely what I do not like about epilogues. And O joy, O happiness, there will be two more books in this brilliant series!

I give 4 ½ stars
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Playing Dirty.

Started Reading