Michelle's Reviews > A Room with a View

A Room with a View by E.M. Forster

F 50x66
Jun 14, 2008

Read in June, 2008

Having been unimpressed with "A Passage to India," I wasn't expecting too much from this Forster novel. I was tickled to be proved wrong. The plot is interesting, the language is "clever," and the philosophy is respectfully thoughtful and ridiculous. However, what really makes the novel great is the author-reader relationship. From the opening pages the narrator/author is openly aware of his audience. He mocks, pities, pokes at, and exposes his own characters, at the same time rendering each one sufficiently likable in all his or her humanness, even the clodding Cecil and the persecuted Miss Bartlett. The characters' interaction within, without of, and against social boundaries and each other lies at the crux of the novel and is reflected in the boundaries Forster breaks when he speaks directly to his readers. The gems of the novel are the humorous editorial comments. There are times I actually laughed out loud, not at the plot or characters, but at the insignificant references to the mechanics of storytelling and the acknowledgement of the readers' presumption that we know what Lucy truly feels before she does! It is a thoroughly enjoyable read, although I must agree with my friend, Maria, when she notes that the ending is abrupt and not completely satisfying. It is the telling of the story that makes the novel.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Room with a View.