Robert Owens's Reviews > What Happened

What Happened by Hillary Rodham Clinton

did not like it
bookshelves: politics, audiobook, book-club, overdrive

Twaddle.

Forget a moment the content of this drivel; the text is just baffling. There was no cohesion to how this story was told. What happened, indeed? It was a bash Trump, bash conservatives, bash Comey, bash pollsters, bash radio, bash media, bash everyone, and then try to end on an upbeat note sharing an "inspirational" message.

Hillary admitted to the most of minor mistakes and then spent 17 hours (yes, that is how long this claptrap is) blaming everyone else for her lost. Towards the end, she excoriated the voters of Trump for disregarding his admissions of sexual abuse and his lies. If not for that she would have won! What I was nearly screaming, "What does that say about how those voters perceived you?" Obviously, they were willing to accept all that she finds with the president because they perceived her to be even worse than that.

Never does Hillary acclaim that she was a poor candidate. Rather, she parsed every miniscule event during the campaign. It was boorish.

I challenged myself to listen to this. I am no audiobook fan, but I am amid a reading challenge that includes listening to an audiobook. I decided to tackle this. The first 30 minutes or so were horrible. The tone and cadence of Hillary's reading her text was so slow and deliberate that it removed all passion/emotion from the text. To her credit, after some time, she read better and at least provided some energy to her reading.

Ultimately, this book did nothing to explain what happened in the 2016 presidential campaign.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read What Happened.

July 6, 2018 – Started Reading