John Pivovarnick's Reviews > The Cabin at the End of the World

The Cabin at the End of the World by Paul Tremblay

I will admit that Tremblay's Head Full of Ghosts disappointed me in the end. It had the ending I assumed at the beginning, and despite some interesting turns of phrase and some twisty bits in the middle, it ultimately let me down in the end. It left me leery of the ecstatic praise Stephen King heaped on The Cabin at the End of the World [if one can be said to "heap" in 140 characters], and I had been betrayed by blurbs before.

But damn.

This is a book that you pick up, then it picks you up and starts to squeeze your brain between its meaty hands, and jacks your blood pressure all the while. It takes you you from sweet nostalgia [catching grasshoppers in a jar] to full metal apocalypse. There were two spots where I was jarred out of the story by shifts of perspective/narrative style, but it didn't matter. It sucked me right back in and ground me up and spat me out by a knotty pine tree at the side of a gravel road beneath a blackening sky.

Just shut up and read it already.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Cabin at the End of the World.

July 6, 2018 – Shelved
July 6, 2018 – Shelved as: to-read
August 8, 2018 – Started Reading
August 8, 2018 –
15.0% "Hooked right from the opening pages. Sh. Reading."
August 9, 2018 –
25.0% "This book is relentless."
August 13, 2018 –
40.0% "Holy crap."
August 14, 2018 –
66.0% "This book is kicking my butt."
August 15, 2018 –
August 16, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

John Pivovarnick I'll read yours if you'll read mine. LOL Tales from the Back of a Bus