Samantha's Reviews > The Grifters

The Grifters by Jim Thompson

I love it when a writer can make me care about and even pull for a character who shouldn't be sympathetic. And Thompson did it three times with Roy, Lilly, and Moira, the "grifters" of the title. All three of them are reprehensible people in a lot of ways and they do truly awful things, to ordinary people, to each other, and to themselves. And to innocents--Dear G-d, poor Carol. But I kept feeling like they'd turn a corner.

I kept building up a head of hope that something was going to come out right for one of them, especially Roy (I guess I fell for his nice-guy persona, too--he was my favorite). And each time it didn't happen, the wind was knocked out of me, hard, sometimes with a baseball bat. I can't tell you anything about the plot without spoiling it, so I won't try. It did surprise me more than once, and I love it when a book can surprise me.

This one starts dark, goes dark throughout and ends dark, so don't read it if you're looking for an uplifting, hopeful story. This is more a tragedy of Shakespearean proportions. So many almosts.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Grifters.

July 6, 2018 – Started Reading