Olivia & Lori (The Candid Cover)'s Reviews > Four Dead Queens

Four Dead Queens by Astrid Scholte

bookshelves: 2019-releases, young-adult, wishlist-wednesday-2019, owned

Full Review on The Candid Cover

This book tells the story of a girl who steals a package only to discover that the contents contain the vivid details of a conspiracy to kill the four ruling queens of the nation. Now she must find the culprit before the public finds out the queens are dead, all while on the run from an employer. I loved the blend of fantasy and murder mystery present in the novel. This book is quite fast-paced because of this, and I found it difficult to put down. The ending was also a shock to me, which I haven’t experienced in a while. Four Dead Queens is so gripping, and it will keep readers hooked from start to finish.

❀ CLEVER MAIN CHARACTER

I adored Keralie, and I couldn’t get enough of her narration. She is a thief who is clever and cunning, and her sarcasm brings humour to a dark story. While she is the main character, she is not the only narrator. I very much enjoyed reading chapters from each of the queens knowing that they are destined to die, and I was on the edge of my seat wondering when the killer would strike. The queens’ perspectives add a lot of detail into the story, especially the world, and it is nice to get to know each of them as characters before they meet their inevitable fate.

❀ AMAZING WORLD-BUILDING

One remarkable element of the book is the well-developed setting. The nation of Quadara is split into four quadrants each ruled by one of the queens, and the divisions each have a specific focus such as technology and arts. Of course, this system raises several issues, some localized inside a quadrant and others on a wider scale. The author does a fantastic job addressing these and clearly explaining the politics of the setting. I found the four queens concept interesting, and it is executed in a believable manner.

Four Dead Queens is an engaging blend of fantasy and thriller, and the plot is surprising. I enjoyed the variety of narration and the developed setting. I would definitely recommend this one, to fantasy fans and thriller fans alike.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Four Dead Queens.

July 6, 2018 – Shelved