MJ Nicholls's Reviews > Nausea

Nausea by Jean-Paul Sartre

bookshelves: dropped

An insufferable philosophical classic, penned in nauseating and styleless first person prose. Roquentin is an arrogant buffoon whose existential woes are trivial, arch and pathetic. No attempt to create a novel has been made, apart from using that most lazy of constructs, the diary, opening the whole work out to a meandering thought-stream of excruciating random dullness. It isn’t accessible to confused students, unless those students happen to be aesthetes on private incomes writing dull historical theses, who like lifeless tracts of flat and horrible prose and can tolerate being bashed over the head with dated postwar ideas. I think that was Sartre’s intention, anyway, I might be wrong. But I get it. Yes. OK. Thanks. Life is horrible, etc, free will is illusory, etc etc. Got it. I read up to p50. That’ll do. The novel was never a useful medium for complex philosophical ideas, except perhaps Camus’s The Stranger, but that was under one hundred pages, and so tolerable. Absolute tish-pock.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Nausea.

December 8, 2011 – Shelved
October 7, 2013 – Shelved as: dropped

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)

message 1: by Moira (new)

Moira Russell //starts saying "tish-pock" in personal life immediately

message 2: by MJ (new) - added it

MJ Nicholls //endorses

Nate Snyder I think maybe it has more appeal if you can really relate to it. If you don't, no amount of description of alien disgust at one's own hand really makes sense. I think if you are ever in a place where you begin to feel truly horrified by existence, give it another shot. It's a real "hoot" then! ;)

message 4: by David (new)

David you didn't even read the book
dave

message 5: by MJ (new) - added it

MJ Nicholls MJ wrote: "I read up to p50. That’ll do."

Yes, Dave.

message 6: by Nathan "N.R." (new)

Nathan "N.R." Gaddis David wrote: "you didn't even read the book
dave"

David’s Bookshelves
read ‎(0)
currently-reading ‎(0)
to-read ‎(0)

Lather. Rinse. Repeat.

message 7: by David (new)

David why did you quote me?
dave

علي الفقير couldn't agree more!

Mark I can't believe it took me so long to find a negative review. I just finished the book and I hated it.

message 10: by Veronica (new) - added it

Veronica Boratyn You said it flawlessly. I could write a better book with my urine in the snow.

message 11: by Rosemary (new) - added it

Rosemary Atwell Well, I just have to read it now!