Robert Owens's Reviews > Lost in Austen: Create Your Own Jane Austen Adventure

Lost in Austen by Emma Campbell Webster

it was ok
bookshelves: questscouts, historical-fiction, fiction, romantic, choose-your-own-adventure, kindle

Eh.

Read this for Quest Scouts. Admittedly, this would have never passed my eyes were it not for this objective. I don't read Austen. I had never read a "create your own" story before.

The author, Emma Campbell Webster, has an unusual way of addressing her readers. At the very first choice I had, I had to choose either left or right. It was a pure guess of a question. There is no reason to have preferred one answer to the other. Upon my guess, I was greeted with:

The End That didn’t take you long, did it? You have failed to complete your mission. You didn’t even get NEAR completing it, in fact. You deserve to be disfigured. Be ashamed.

Rude!

I went back to select the other choice. Doing so while reading on a Kindle is not particularly smooth. Tough book to read when the reader is jumping all over the place.

For a while the story seemed to settle down a bit. I agree with the others that keeping track of points is tiresome. Fortunately, I kept a spreadsheet, which I would think was easier than a hand-written list.

The one thing that kept me going is that my wife loves Austen, and Pride and Prejudice in particular. Oh, how she fawns over Mr. Darcy. Well, I as Elizabeth in the story, am apparently a horrid courtee as I died miserably once again despite having married the dreamy Mr. Darcy. Not content with my dream, I cheated on the damn fool. I'm such a whore! And Webster let me know it!

Bah! This just wasn't up my alley.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lost in Austen.

July 5, 2018 – Shelved