Erin the Avid Reader ⚜BFF's with the Cheshire Cat⚜'s Reviews > Moby Dick

Moby Dick by Christophe Chabouté

It is what it is. An abridged graphic novelization of Herman Melville’s classic Moby Dick which is a pretty difficult feat in its own right considering the novel is about 800 pages long and full of verbose descriptions and layered metaphor.

I like the original novel quite a bit, so I went into this knowing the plot and the character’s motivations. I will say that overall Chaboute did a rather good job with both. There were a few chapters in the original novel that I felt were rather pointless, such as whole chapters that discusses the boring minutae of whale-hunting and the removal of the valued spermaceti. Here, we get a brief showing of whale spearing and the process behind extracting the wealth from the whale’s carcass, which I thought was a good idea on Chaboute’s part.

I like the lurid black and white this was drawn in, but one of my gripes was the design of the characters. I thought most of looked the same and were difficult to differentiate from one another. Considering they all sounded the same and overall didn’t say much at all, the process of differentiating their personas was frustrating—unless it was a person of color like Queequeg or Tashtego.

Overall, not bad at all. I certainly got enjoyment out of this one, and I appreciate the challenge people take when adapting monstrously long and complicated books such as this one. I recommend this to anyone who likes graphic novels and classics.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Moby Dick.

July 5, 2018 – Started Reading