Heather's Reviews > A Month of Sundays

A Month of Sundays by Ruth White

liked it
bookshelves: children, historical-fiction, novels, young-adult

April Garnet Rose is angry at her mother for packing her off to her Aunt June's home in Virginia while her mother finds work in Florida. She finds, though, that life with Aunt June (her estranged father's sister), Uncle Otis, and cousins Avery and Emory isn't bad at all, especially when she meets Silver Shepherd, a local preacher's son.

I really liked most of this book--it's a simple story set in about 1956. The author could have included more historical elements to make the time period clearer from the beginning--it took me a while to pick up on when it was supposed to take place. I did figure out that it was the 50's, though, since the family had a TV, but the station signed off at 11pm, and they had a freezer. April's poodle skirt confirmed the decade, but I didn't get the exact date until April said late in the book that she was born in 1942 (we knew she was 14 years old).

The story dealt with faith in a sweet, subtle, respectful way. April and Silver were both skeptics, but April also had mixed feelings about all of the churches her Aunt June took her to, and about the seeming miracle that happened to June. Still, the author stayed out of the faith argument and let the characters be themselves, which was wonderful and uplifting to read.

What I didn't like about the book was the ending--I won't give anything away, but it was one of those really dumb, sudden endings that's sad for no reason. I hate that. There was some hope too, but it seemed like one of those things where the author might have decided to make it a downer just because she didn't think tying everything up happily would be realistic enough. Reality can be happy and sad, though, so it's too bad that so many authors think they need to end books with a downer to make them seem real.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Month of Sundays.

December 8, 2011 – Started Reading