Raina's Reviews > Approximate Continuum Comics

Approximate Continuum Comics by Lewis Trondheim

Dec 08, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: adult, biographical, graphic-memoir, graphic-novel-travelogues, graphicnovel, nonfic, not-amerika
Read from December 08 to 13, 2011

I had to warm up to this one. I feel like I know a lot of men (yes, mostly men) like this. Gloomy, low-self esteem, grouchy, pessimistic, self-identified pains in the ass. They wear it like a badge of honor -- they see the world the way it really is and don't sugarcoat anything in life. And at first, it was tiresome to read the all-too-familiar lines in comic book form. But as I went, Trondheim unpacks those elements in himself. I suspect it's a consequence of doing an autobio comic in serial form like this - he even says something to that effect in his peripheral material. The short turnaround time made him more vulnerable.

According to the description here on Goodreads, this is one of the first autobio comics to come out of France, which is somewhat surprising to me.

I especially appreciated the segments covering (or not covering) Trondheim's trip to amerika. He dances around his trip, explicitly saying that he is having a hard time talking about it. I really enjoyed how he talked about his stereotypes of what amerika would be like, and how it met and didn't meet those expectations. They're short sections, and I want more, but I dug them.
I think I liked how he chronicled his trip because it's more or less similar to how I chronicle my experiences. I don't like feeling obligated to chronicle my activities (though my FB friends will object and say that I obsessively take photos with my phone), and I've never finished several photo albums. He talks about not talking about the trip almost more than he talks about the trip. :)

I would give four stars to the travel parts, but since that's only a very small portion of the narrative...

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Approximate Continuum Comics.