Andrea's Reviews > The Fallen Queen

The Fallen Queen by Jane Kindred

Dec 08, 2011

Read from December 11 to 13, 2011

What a book! At first glance, I would have written The Fallen Queen off as a strictly High Fantasy book. And it is a Fantasy, a great one at that, full of deceit, betrayal, and despair. The world building is beautiful and complex, involving a Heaven more elaborate than I could have ever imagined. It was perhaps a bit complex for my taste, but I just sort of let the intricate political and geographical bits go and took in the rest of the details, which I loved.

What really jerked me into the story and held me captivated was the relationship between Anazakia and Vasily, and Vasily and Belphagor. I don't even know where to begin. It was weird...and HOT. When I say weird, I'm not even talking about genders and sexuality, that's not important. I'm talking about the, I don't know, fluidness, of the relationships. I'm sure I am not properly conveying my thoughts, but honestly, I'm still reeling over the triangle. Wow!

At it's core, The Fallen Queen is the story of a girl whose entire life is ripped apart. It reminded me, and this story is even referred to, of Anastasia. Anazakia, (oh, I just got the name similarity) was a brave, resourceful girl who literally makes the best of what is handed to her. If you like Fantasy books, at all, this one is highly recommended.

Favorite Quote:

" 'What happens,' I breathed, 'when a firespirit and a waterspirit come together?'
He pressed his fingers to my lips as if to be sure I was speaking and a spark of wavering
violet danced on his hand. I sought his mouth with mine and at the meeting of our lips, the
light surged around us like our own aurora."

*I received this book from Entangled Publishing, via NetGalley.*
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Fallen Queen.

Jess the Romanceaholic I have this one in my queue very soon -- I may have to bump it up and read it sooner than planned!

Andrea I really enjoyed it. Entangled Publishing puts out great work.
Enjoy!

Jess the Romanceaholic I've been very impressed with Entangled since they began in late summer. There was only one that I was rather iffy about, and they actually pulled that one and re-edited it before publishing it :)