Robert Owens's Reviews > E.B. White on Dogs

E.B. White on Dogs by E.B. White

bookshelves: nonfiction, essays, dog, kindle, reading-challenge
Recommended to Robert by: Kathy Robertson

Received this from my SIL for my birthday. I love E.B. White. I love my dogs. This should be good!
****

Well, it took forever to complete this. That is no statement as to its value, just to this reader's abortive reading style. Truth be told, I squeezed in several other reads from beginning to end, a vacation, and a week's long house company. Life is difficult at times.

I was already a fan of White's before I began this. I know him from his children's books and Elements of Style, which I use frequently still. Had learned somewhere along the lines he had written for The New Yorker, but hadn't read anything until now.

Obviously, I was poorer for being bereft in that benefit. White's writing is an example of what good writing is. Funny, gripping, and engaging all wrapped into one. One would do well in using it as a high bar.

While the essays focused on his dogs, there was a life being told too; an enriched life to be certain. White even shared some politics with his readers. I noted despite being several decades old, the complaints were nearly the same we have now. It's like one big soap opera, I suppose.

But the dogs, and Fred in particular, are the joy of the book. I was raised with dogs, my folks being groomers et al. But it was the pussies who captured my attention after our last canine passed. That was until nearly five years ago when our daughter clamored for a puppy, much like a Norman Rockwell painting would suggest. We got two. We loathe picking up the "accidents", but there's charm of being followed throughout one's castle and a quick lick of a nose from an adoring fan.

This book was a wonderful read. I thank Kitty for thinking of me. I passed along the book to my mother and opted for the digital version as my beleaguered eyes screamed for something it could focus upon.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read E.B. White on Dogs.

July 4, 2018 – Started Reading