Jennifer's Reviews > Two Truths and a Lie

Two Truths and a Lie by Sara Shepard

it was ok
bookshelves: young-adult, mystery

I have no idea why I paid for and read this book. I didn't like the first book in the series and found the second one to be just okay. I have been enjoying the TV show based on the books, but it really has very little in common with the books other than the name and the fact that there are twins separated at birth.

As I mentioned in my review of The Lying Game, I have a problem with the supernatural aspect of the series. It seems like a really thin plot device to have the "ghost" of Sutton follow Emma around and randomly remember things. It is a complete stretch that she only selectively remembers things and of course, does not remember who killed her. I expect she won't until book 8

I won't spoil this book but it follow the exact same formula as the second book. Exactly. Just fill in the blanks for each book. Emma suspects _____ of killing Sutton. Several things happen which lead Emma to believe that _____ definitely killed Sutton. Dead Sutton "remembers" something that makes it seem like ____ killed her. Turns out that Emma misread the clues and _____ is innocent and dead Sutton finally remembers the entire scene and realizes ______ didn't kill her.

Meanwhile Emma has several encounters with her families where she slips up and is afraid they will figure out she isn't Sutton.

Like many of Sara Shepard's books, this doesn't feel like a book. It feels like a filler episode in a TV series - you know the ones where the characters are in the same place at the end as they were in the beginning b/c nothing really happened? Yes, it is like that.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Two Truths and a Lie.

December 8, 2011 – Shelved