Dawn C's Reviews > Dreamsnake

Dreamsnake by Vonda N. McIntyre

bookshelves: media-storytel, loved

Vonda N. McIntyre’s Star Trek novel The Entropy Effect has been one of my favorite novels since I was a teenager. I’ve read it twice and have wanted to read it again for a long time. I was luckily enough to have a conversation with her about it, Star Trek and writing in general on Twitter, just a couple of months before she passed away.

I also promised her I’d read other of her work and well, ms. McIntyre, I finally did, and I loved it.

She writes stories in a way that’s rare today, where the surface plot is really a conduit for personal growth and understanding. I can really only compare her to Ursula Le Guin. This story of Snake, Melissa, and the other characters, is as much a literal, physical cross country journey as it is an inner journey. She understands human behavior and motivations so well and handles really heavy subjects very delicately but without shying away or attaching shame to it. Snake is an adult who respects and listens to a child as another equal human being, here are characters who make mistakes and learn, we even have queerness handled with ease and a normalsy that continues to amaze me existed so freely decades ago in speculative fiction, especially science fiction written by women. It’s even subtly present in her Star Trek novel, which is really all about Spock trying to change history to save Kirk’s life. I mean, fan fiction much?

And the ending. Oh, so cheeky. Well done. I’m only sad I won’t be able to let her know I finally did read more of her work but if she’s watching somewhere, here’s to you and to further exploring your work.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dreamsnake.

July 4, 2018 – Shelved
July 4, 2018 – Shelved as: to-read
March 18, 2019 – Shelved as: media-storytel
May 27, 2019 – Started Reading
May 27, 2019 –
54.0% "Haven’t had much time to update reading statuses but started listening to this a few days ago. It took a while to get into it (wow, Anna Friel, wake the fuck up when narrating!) but I’m impressed with how psychological it is. Vonda McIntyre would have made a great therapist."
May 28, 2019 –
May 28, 2019 –
May 28, 2019 – Shelved as: loved
May 28, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)

Allison Hurd Great review, Dawn! Well said and I'm so glad you have that memory of her :)

Dawn C Thank you! Yes, so am I ^_^

Diane Wonderful, touching review. She was such a lovely person I wish I had met her in person. I too had an exchange with her (email for me) in which I could tell her how much I loved her writing and appreciated her (she was very helpful when I was having trouble with the Book View Cafe website, which she founded and ran). She was so approachable. I’m glad you enjoyed Dreamsnake. I loved it and I’m reading Starfarers ATM. Just got a copy of the Moon and the Sun, which I’ve been meaning to read for an age.

message 4: by Cathy (new)

Cathy “Vonda N. McIntyre’s Star Trek novel The Entropy Effect has been one of my favorite novels since I was a teenager.“
Yes! Dito! So I will check out this one... :-)

Dawn C @Diana I agree, she was super chatty and approachable on Twitter too, she sent me like 10 tweets when I had responded once, haha! I’m definitely going to check out Starfarers as well :)

Dawn C @Cathy Awesome! Just a warning, I personally found the beginning a bit vague, I didn’t get what was going on and wasn’t sure I’d like it at all, but along the way it started to come together and I was very into it halfway through :)