Carrie's Reviews > Keeper of the Bees

Keeper of the Bees by Meg Kassel

bookshelves: netgalley

Keeper of the Bees by Meg Kassel is a young adult fantasy read that is part of the Black Birds of the Gallows series. Now this book is more of a companion novel than second of the series and can be read as a standalone if choosing to do so. The characters and story are different than the first book although the idea of a beekeeper was first mentioned in Black Birds of the Gallows.

Dresden is a keeper of bees, cursed to follow the harbingers of death to areas that are marked for death. Inside of Dresden's chest are the bees that he keeps and releases that when stinging release a psychosis inducing venom. The harbingers have led Dresden to a small Midwest town where he encounters Essie.

Seventeen year old Essie has never been one that has been considered normal either and is not surprised at all when she sees Dresden. Essie's only fear is that what she is seeing is even there at all since her entire life she's suffered from hallucinations and delusions. What Essie and Dresden find however is that their paths are more intertwined then they could have imagined.

Having read both books in this series I can certainly say now that they do end up being awfully creative even though when starting out I was reminded of other fantasy reads. The darker scenario of areas being marked for doom and the idea of harbingers of death and beekeepers etc is actually quite interesting. However, again we had a case of the old instalove during the opening pages which can be a turn off even with the eventual reasoning behind it. Still overall I thin the series is definitely worth the read and would recommend them.

I received an advance copy from the publisher via NetGalley.

For more reviews please visit https://carriesbookreviews.com/

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Keeper of the Bees.

July 3, 2018 – Shelved
July 3, 2018 – Shelved as: to-read
July 3, 2018 – Shelved as: netgalley
August 27, 2018 – Started Reading
August 29, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

Kristin (KC) - Traveling Sister Great review, Carrie! :-)