Sheila's Reviews > Sole Survivor

Sole Survivor by Dean Koontz

2039269

bookshelves: mystery, drama, relationships

The plot begins with character—a man deeply depressed by the loss of his family; a sole survivor who would rather prefer not to survive. He watches the waves; and the reader, swiftly drawn in, watches with him. Then things change. Soon, Dean Koonz’s Sole Survivor is a fast-flowing tale of danger and mystery. There may be another “sole survivor” out there, and Joe is chased by strangers with complex technological resources and apparent immunity to use them. With his own life in danger, he’s desperate to learn what really happened on the flight that killed his family.

Sole Survivor starts slow, speeds up, and pulls the reader along with fascinating questions and mystery. Through twists and turns of plausible solutions that fast become implausible, the author brings readers to that ultimate question—how on earth can the story end?

Fitting and resolving the plot perfectly, the author does end the tale, with mysteries of life beyond life entwining together with mysteries of terrifying death. If I’m oddly unsatisfied at the resolution, that probably says more about me than the book, and I really enjoyed the read.

Disclosure: I had just flown. How could I resist?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sole Survivor.

Started Reading