Tara Lee's Reviews > Elixir

Elixir by Hilary Duff

Dec 07, 2011

bookshelves: awesome-covers, favorites

Elixir by Hilary Duff. Yes, you read it right. THE Hilary Duff. When I first saw this book on shelves ages ago, I wasn't sure how many Hilary Duff's there were, but I was sure it couldn't be Lizzie McGuire. I just hadn't known she'd written a book. And I certainly hadn't expected that she'd written the type of book that I absolutely LOVE to read.

So Clea's a photographer. When I saw that I figured this book had to be right up my alley. Clea and her best friend Rayna, who's mother is the "nanny for her mother's horses", start out the story in France and immediately we're thrown into the "action" when a fire starts in the building Rayna is visiting someone in. Within 25 pages of the start of the novel our first crisis is averted.

And what's funny is that when I read the book I pictured Clea as Hilary. So it was easy for me to read the dialogue in her voice and picture the things written actually being said. The words didn't seem awkward or forced at all. Just like natural conversation which is something I always look for. When conversations seem to "sing-songy" (ie Dawson's Creek - I HearT Pacey though) it irritates me. Because it sounds scripted. Not normal.

We meet another of Clea's friends pretty quickly into the story. Ben. He was originally hired as a sort of... bodyguard... for her. But we find out it wasn't for his ability to throw grown men the length of a football field. More for his ability to pretty much go to any country you can name and have a conversation with people, no matter the language, along with his knowledge in history and mythology. Ben is a good character. He and Rayna seem to balance Clea well.

As the description says, Clean starts to see shadows of a man in her photographs that couldn't possibly have been in the locations she'd actually been shooting at. And she can't seem to let go of her father and the questions surrounding his death. So she sets off in search of answers.

This was actually a really exciting book to read. Like I said, the dialogue flowed really well. It was an entirely new concept to me. And I like how it was written from the perspective of someone who was extremely well off, but down to earth. I always hear people say "write what you know" and Hilary definitely knows glitz and glamour. Clea was perfect for her debut.

And I have to add that the cover was simple, but gorgeous, and tied nicely into a running theme of the story.

When I got to the end of the book I was really disappointed to find out that NOTHING had been resolved and searched frantically on Goodreads to find out what the heck was going on. Come to find out it was the first of at least 2 in the series. Devoted is book number two and was published back in October, but I have yet to find it so I can read it!!

I don't want to give too much away but I'm going to say that I recommend this to anyone who likes stories like Unearthly, Fallen, and Hush, Hush. It's a great read for everyone, but if you like the books I just mentioned, I know you'll like this one too! So check it out. :-)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Elixir.