Stacie's Reviews > Roses by Moonlight

Roses by Moonlight by Nicola Mar

Read 2 times. Last read July 14, 2018 to July 15, 2018.

Roses by Moonlight, by Nicola Mar, is a bittersweet poetry collection. Filled with the complexities of human experience, its free-verse poems speak to readers in beautiful, simplistic words. I read the collection from cover to cover in one evening, and then revisited it again the next.

Mar’s poems are inspirational yet heartbreaking; her writing uses the senses to describe the world and make sense of it - as well as to endure and ultimately, conquer pain. Some poems are a scant three lines - and with the longest just over a page, it isn’t surprising that Mar is a contemporary poet who has successfully used social media an outlet for her words. With this book, she opens her writing up to a wider audience and shows that even three lines on a long, blank page can impact the reader immensely, making them stop and pause for breath. And isn’t that what poetry is designed to do? In the small cracks of silence between the words, can poetry open up our minds & hearts, causing us to feel another’s experience authentically? I believe Mar would agree with me when I say fervently - Yes!

Contemporary poets of today are not afraid to show us pain and suffering. But equally as important is the love that remains within us and around us, and Mar aptly titles this collection to show the beauty blooming in the darkness - the light that shines among the thorns.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Roses by Moonlight.

July 3, 2018 – Shelved