Clare O'Beara's Reviews > The Secret of the Urns

The Secret of the Urns by A.B. Carolan

bookshelves: young-adult-sff

I admit I'm not mad about the title and cover, which could be a Nancy Drew goes to Mexico book. Yet in a way this is what the book is - a Nancy Drew of the far future, on another planet, investigating the technological level of the seemingly backward planet's first inhabitants.

Young adults will follow our heroine through three age stages, so the childish play and danger of the early part gives way to travel and studies, then a more mature young lady arrives back at her world - actually a large moon orbiting a gas giant - to discover exploitation and consequences. We can see many allegories to modern life.

I found the central section the slowest, with many references to the spacefaring past, and I can't like a girl taking off her clothes to be taught by a tutor whose (female) body needed to be in water. Some YAs might skip over these parts to get back to the real meat of the story. The SF element refers to many aspects of science such as astrophysics and will be interesting to readers keen to learn and imagine.

I downloaded an e-ARC from Net Galley. This is an unbiased review.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Secret of the Urns.

July 3, 2018 – Shelved