Holly P's Reviews > The Hypnotist

The Hypnotist by M.J. Rose

Dec 07, 2011

bookshelves: historical-fiction
Read from December 03 to 07, 2011

The front cover says "The Hypnotist: A Novel of Suspense" and it definitely delivers in the suspense department. It took me about 40 pages to get into the book (and I think this is due more to the relatively short chapters which I wasn't used to) but it really clicked for me when we meet the crazy as he calmly evaluates which masterpiece he will utterly destroy to begin his game of cat and mouse with the Metropolitan Museum of Art and the FBI. As an art lover, I cringed reading this part.

Glass is the FBI's man when it comes to these types of crimes and when it becomes clear that the situation with the painting may be tied to the Phoenix Foundation and it's Co-Director Malachai Samuels, a firm believer in reincarnation who is obsessed with seeking out ancient "memory tools" that may unlock the key to past lives. Glass goes undercover at the Foundation as a patient of one doctors there who specializes in past life memory recovery through hypnotism. Although at first it is just part of the assignment, Lucien accesses memories from past lives in Greece and Persia which he realizes may be the key to stopping the reoccurring dreams of women he doesn't recognize that keeps him up at night.

If all that sounds rather intricate, that is because it is. There is a lot going on in this book and I found myself asking tons of questions throughout. Who murdered Lucian's girlfriend all those years ago and why? Who are these women he keeps dreaming about? Why is the ancient Hypnos statue that everyone is after so important? Is reincarnation real? The good thing is, M.J. Rose keeps you guessing throughout and even though the storyline gets quite involved it doesn't get confusing and the conclusion (and finding the answers to the zillions of questions you'll be asking yourself) is definitely worth the ride. Although this is the third in the series, it is the first one I have read but reading the series out of order didn't present any problems. I didn't feel I was lacking any information from the first two that held me up while reading this one. I own the first two books (The Memorist and The Reincarnationist) and will definitely be getting to both of them soon. Recommend this to those who love thrillers with a bit of history thrown in.

*review copy for tour participation*

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Hypnotist.

03/03/2016 marked as: read