Heidi's Reviews > The Year of the Book

The Year of the Book by Andrea Cheng

bookshelves: middle-grade-contemporary, diverse-books, diversity
Read 2 times

Anna Wang is afraid she's losing her friend Laura to Allison and Lucy, but she doesn't know what to do about it. She's more comfortable with her books and crafting activities. In addition, her mother's job of cleaning isn't something she wants known because she doesn't find it something to be proud of, despite the fact that her mother is working toward attending nursing school while learning English and how to drive. Anna struggles to know how to be a friend to Laura when she wants to do other things, especially when it becomes apparent that things are not going well for Laura at home and Laura still seems to prefer Allison. But gradually, with the help of her family, Anna learns what it means to be a good friend. Cheng has created a great character in Anna, one that I could really relate to, because I was a lot like her. While I'm not Chinese American, I could relate to Anna's social awkwardness and love of reading. I enjoyed reading about Anna's family's Chinese traditions as well. This is a fun series for young readers about growing up in America while keeping one's own heritage alive and well.

1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Year of the Book.

Finished Reading
July 5, 2014 – Shelved (Paperback Edition)
July 5, 2014 – Shelved as: to-read (Paperback Edition)
June 28, 2018 – Started Reading (Paperback Edition)
June 30, 2018 – Finished Reading (Paperback Edition)
July 2, 2018 – Shelved