Dhuaine's Reviews > Swordspoint

Swordspoint by Ellen Kushner

Jun 13, 2008

liked it
bookshelves: fantasy, other-fantasy

This book is the perfect proof that I need a plot in a book after all.

It was a delight to read - for the first 200 pages. I loved the world and its quirks, I didn't quite understand the relationship between two main characters but believed it'll clear up in the end, and I was happily and eagerly anticipating the plot mentioned in the blurb.
I reached half mark of the book and started to worry. And when I flipped to the last few pages, imagine how shocked and peeved I was to find that a good chunk of the tome was devoted to several short stories and an excerpt from another book. There was barely any time to introduce the main (?) point of the plot and to wrap it up... It all sizzled out together with my excitement. There's virtually nothing beyond the blurb. Still, I understand why it wasn't phrased differently - there is simply nothing else in this book that could be summarized and pitched. Nothing ever happens. Characters appear and disappear, nothing changes, main duo is as meh as ever (and I still don't understand why they even are together), it all reads like a slice of life without much meaning or purpose. It doesn't help that Kushner explains the evil political plot in three-page monologue by one of the characters, just as if she got bored and wanted to finish it quickly.

I loved the setting and the premise, but I can't help but feel that all of it was pretty pointless, no pun intended.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Swordspoint.

June 13, 2008 – Shelved
page 38
11.55% "Lol progress."
September 25, 2011 –
page 52
15.81% "Lol progress 2. :/"
September 28, 2011 –