Jacquelyn's Reviews > In High Cotton

In High Cotton by Denise Grover Swank

Read 2 times. Last read August 10, 2018 to September 1, 2018.

I am a diehard fan of the Rose Gardner and Neely Kate series, but this one wasn't a favorite. I read it twice in a row and still found it a little hard to keep track of the who each new character was (something I've struggled with a bit in other books with these characters), who sent them and why. Even at the end, Neely Kate doesn't have all of these answers for certain, and that makes it that much more confusing to me.

I'm not sure how we are supposed to feel about Kate at this point, but she has become an unexpected twist and I like that DGS continues to make the characters so multifaceted and complicated, like actual people. There's always so much to consider and analyze about them.

It seems kind of amazing, but somehow I didn't miss Rose's presence in this book. (Although I would LOVE to see a novella of her weekend away. ;) ) It's refreshing to see a new perspective of the characters we think we know so well through NK's eyes. I like her a lot more after being able to be inside her head instead of always seeing her through Rose's perspective too. She seems more real to me.

I am a sucker for the romance parts of these books and I'm just going to put it out there and say Jed is the best guy ever, but his kid gloves with NK in certain scenes got old as did their numerous "I love you"s said like 15 minutes after the last time they said it to each other. That said, I do love where this series has taken them together so far.

ALSO, to echo another reader's issue with this book: It has no ending! DGS is so good at tying up just enough loose ends and leaving just enough out there that you're dying for more, but this time around, it felt like almost nothing was resolved and now I'm not sure when we get more resolution since the next book is a Rose focus. I don't know how the next Rose book can avoid getting into NK territory because this storyline is such a live wire, so I'm super interested to see how DGS handles that in "Up Shute Creek."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read In High Cotton.

July 2, 2018 – Shelved