Silver James's Reviews > New York to Dallas

New York to Dallas by J.D. Robb

bookshelves: 2015-books-read, keeper, reread, 2016-books-read, audio-books, auto-buy-series, romance, suspense, scifi, 2017-books-read, 2020-books-read, best-book-of-the-year, favorite-authors
Read 6 times. Last read September 23, 2020 to September 26, 2020.

New York to Dallas (In Death, #33) by J.D. Robb 2020: Is there anything else I can say about this book that I haven't said before? Nope. Except it's always hard to listen to. It's a tough story but so deeply satisfying in the end.

4/16/2017 relisten. I can't praise the narrator, Susan Erickson, enough. After narrating so many In Death books, she slides into the characters with skill and bravado. Her vocal nuances touch all the right nerves and leave the listener as rung out emotionally as the characters. This is such a hard book to read/listen to. This book is about PTSD in it's most severe form. It is vicious and dirty and heartbreaking and yet it is such a revelation for Eve and Roarke. While NAKED IN DEATH will always remain my #1 book in the series, this one is a very close second.

6/28/16 listen: Susan Erickson is the perfect narrator for the In Death books and this book still breaks my heart. In my top 5 books in the series.

2/15/15 reread: This book is one that is so finely nuanced that my opinion changes each time I reread it. Despite what I said previously, this book gets 5+ stars. To see Eve so broken, to see Roarke break with her, and to watch them put the pieces back together leaves me drained. It's in my top five favorite In Death books, and probably neck-and-neck with NAKED IN DEATH, which is my chicken soup book. NYtD opens up all of Eve's old wounds, and the reader learns more about what she was in the beginning, back to her first meeting with Feeney. Damn. Just...damn.

[orig. review]I'm not sure why I only rated this book when I first read it last year, but in a way, I'm glad I didn't review it at the time. I've just completed a reread of the book and now I'll record my thoughts.

In this particular episode of Eve’s life, she must return to the root of her nightmares and confront them in ways unimaginable to most of us. Like a few of the books along the way, this one is a defining point in Eve’s life. This is not the book to pick up if you want to start this series. This is the book to read after you’ve read them all. To understand the button in Roark’s pocket, Eve’s reluctance to form relationships, and the horror she faces in the end, start at the beginning. You’ll thank me for suggesting it. Trust me.

I would give this book extra stars (an A+) along with two other books in the series holding that grade—NAKED IN DEATH and TREACHERY IN DEATH, which is the full-length novel just preceding NYtD. Those of us who love the In Death books are nigh-on fanatics. And I finally figured out why I am—Eve and Roarke and all the other characters, the stories themselves—they all touch me on a deeply personal level that I didn’t recognize until this reread. These are books that touch my heart. My soul. And they make me feel not quite so alone and like I can confront the past and move on with my life.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read New York to Dallas.

Finished Reading
December 7, 2011 – Shelved
December 10, 2011 – Started Reading (Kindle Edition)
December 11, 2011 – Finished Reading (Kindle Edition)
March 30, 2012 –
2.0% "Rereading this one for the Reading Rita challenge at SBTB."
April 17, 2012 –
June 29, 2016 – Shelved as: romance
June 29, 2016 – Shelved as: suspense
June 29, 2016 – Shelved as: scifi
April 14, 2017 – Started Reading
April 14, 2017 – Shelved (Kindle Edition)
April 16, 2017 – Shelved as: 2017-books-read