Robin Mallison Alpern's Reviews > Love, Across the Divide

Love, Across the Divide by Krystal Ford

The first thing that surprised me about this book was how fat it was. I don't really expect that from a romance. Turns out partly it's thick with rich backstory for the main characters. This helps build interesting, complex characters who are real and human. Minor characters are also presented as full human beings.

A second surprise was that the two main characters quickly took a dislike to each other. Every romance novel has to have conflict so the readers can be tortured until the inevitable, satisfying conclusion. But the set-up in this one did make it look as if our lovers would never make it across that divide. The obstacles were quite convincing.

A third surprise was finding out the two protagonists, despite belonging to different political parties, were not necessarily as far apart as they might have been. On the one hand, I felt this was somewhat cheating the premise that they're politically opposed. Their love didn't have to cross some of the widest chasms between different values that exist currently in our country. On the other hand, even if they weren't diametrically opposed, our star-crossed lovers did still have plenty to dispute about. Because they weren't at opposite ends of the pole, their resolution was believable.

From the opening pages, the story is very well told. I felt safe in the author's hands. Plot flowed smoothly and with intriguing curves and twists; dialogue was realistic; characters were interesting, likeable and well fleshed out.

I'm trying to avoid that cliche, but it's a fact, I had a hard time putting the book down! And when I reached the end, I felt very satisfied with the denouement. Ford could have sugar coated it, but instead she went for a genuine happy ending.

I received a free advanced copy of Love Across the Divide in exchange for an honest review.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Love, Across the Divide.

Finished Reading