Andrew's Reviews > The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle

liked it
bookshelves: fantasy, physical-bookshelf
Recommended to Andrew by: Bari Dulberg
Recommended for: Patient, open-minded readers

I started this book in 2006 when my boyfriend at the time was using it to practice V/O recording. He recorded himself reading the first four chapters and then stopped. Those first four chapters taken alone portray the book as a strange, idyllic, somewhat silly tale in which prank calls and other odd occurrences pepper the life of a young Japanese couple. Strange, yes, but the similarities end there. The book becomes convoluted, dark, and completely unpredictable.

I enjoyed reading it, although I'm surprised I finished it. More than once it made me think of Gabriel García Márques in its non-chalant and long-winded tone, and I've never managed to finish one of his books. It helps that the stories in Wind-Up Bird were compelling, even when it seemed like they shouldn't be (like May Kasahara's letters).

(view spoiler)

I'll read more Murakami, and I'm glad to hear that this was one of the long ones.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle.

June 27, 2007 – Shelved
June 10, 2014 – Started Reading
June 16, 2014 –
page 62
10.21% ""The doors of all the world's refrigerators seemed to have been thrown open at once.""
June 17, 2014 –
page 92
15.16% ""If the Dalai Lama were on his deathbed and the jazz musician Eric Dolphy were to try to explain to him the importance of choosing one's engine oil in accordance with changes in the sound of the bass clarinet, that exchange might have been a touch more worthwhile and effective than my conversations with Noboru Wataya.""
June 24, 2014 –
page 152
25.04% "Half-way through a 40-page Japanese military history lesson."
July 1, 2014 –
page 267
43.99% "I'll call this the boring part."
July 2, 2014 –
page 323
53.21% "This book would be far less than 600 pages if Creta Kano would stop repeating herself."
July 10, 2014 –
page 456
75.12% "Character names: Cinnamon, Nutmeg, Mackerel."
July 14, 2014 –
page 510
84.02% "Thank goodness for long subway rides or I would have given up on this book weeks ago. (Really liking it by the way, it's just slow in parts, like the D train.)"
July 14, 2014 – Shelved as: fantasy
July 14, 2014 – Shelved as: physical-bookshelf
July 14, 2014 –
page 541
89.13% "There are a few graphically violent moments in this book, and I think the one I just read is the worst so far."
July 16, 2014 – Finished Reading

message 1: by Frederick (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:29AM) (new)

Frederick Good luck with Haruki Murakami. I mean that with a big, smiley-face icon. He's good. I've read some of his stories in THE NEW YORKER. I became aware of him when I noticed an author using lots of Beatles titles in his work. (The novel NORWEGIAN WOOD; some short stories.) I find him increasingly incomprehensible, but his stuff is beautiful, somehow, anyway.

Andrew Thank you! I'm enjoying it so far.