MeinLesezeichenBlog's Reviews > Children of Blood and Bone

Children of Blood and Bone by Tomi Adeyemi

liked it

When this novel was published it was all over bookstagram. There wasn't a feed that didn't feature it. So basically there was no way around this book. Usually I steer clear of hyped books, but this time my curiosity won. And to be honest the book description sounded intriguing.

The first time I started reading the book, I stopped after 70 pages because I didn't get anything out of it. It annoyed me and I just couldn't keep on reading. However, before Christmas I decided to give it a second chance and actually got over those 70 pages. Even though I'm still not that impressed, I liked it in one way or the other: I developed a love-hate-relationship. Following I will explain why I hate/like this book.

First things first: The setting, the mythology and the premises (magic, oppression, discrimination).
Those three aspects are what made me go back to the book and actually read and enjoy it until the end. Nevertheless sometimes I had the feeling that the author expected the reader to already know about the culture, the mythology etc. The novel lacked background knowledge and world building. More information about the culture, the land, the history would have been nice. There were so many allusions to other nations, such as the Bratonians (Britain?) and the Pörltoganés (Portuguese?). What about them? What did exactly happen there and where are they now? The novel has so much potential but didn't really exploit that.

Narration and style of writing
The narration was inconsistent. Fast-paced and actionpacked chapters were followed by boring, slow-paced and repetitive sections. Most of the time the writing style was eloquent, intense and gripping. But the author overused the phrase 'I let out a breath I didn't realize I was holding'. Already once is too much! Also the author often had a strong perchant for the dramatic and theatralic. Also I didn't always like the use of the multiperspectiveness. It made sense when the characters were separated from each other or in different places, but not when they were walking right beside each others.

Characters
The characters are way too stereotyped. I hated their double standards, their mediocre love relationships, their annoying back and forth and their inner and outer conflicts. Nothing new under the sun. Also their constant 'Oh i cannot do this' vs. 'Suprise, look what I've just done'. So annoying. I liked Tzain the most because he is the only one who stays true to himself. Inan, Zelie and Amari just got on my nerves and also their relationships were foreseeable and boring. A side character whose lines I enjoyed reading, was Röen.

The finale
Now now now. That was unexpected. I had to reread the final paragraphs several times in order to understand what happened. Until now I really don't understand what happened and most and foremost WHY?! Yes, it is intriguing, but I really don't know what to make of it.

On the one hand 'Children of blood and bones' has some really innovative and new features. But on the other hand the structure of the plot and the characters are so unnerving that they outwheigh the innovative aspects of the novel. Nevertheless it is far more highbrow than other YA novels such as 'The Hazel wood' by Melissa Albert or 'Spindle fire' by Lexa Hillyer. Eventhough I'm not that impressed or excited about this book, I'm still looking forward to the sequel. I honestly hope that it offers a very good explanation for everything that went down in the final chapters.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Children of Blood and Bone.

July 1, 2018 – Shelved