Beatriz Lins's Reviews > Catching Jordan

Catching Jordan by Miranda Kenneally

Dec 07, 2011

bookshelves: awesome-protagonist, contemporary, crush-worthy-guys, romance, sarcastic, ya, great-writing

Ah, finally a break. I've been reading paranormal for months, and I was just tired. I needed something light, funny, and sweet. Something like Catching Jordan.

This is the second contemporary novel I've read, aside from Anna and the French Kiss, and it's so nice to read something that doesn't envolve otherwordly creatures, vampires, ghouls, magic, etc etc. Just dialogues and characters that could really be true.

Jordan is different from most girls. She loves to play football, it is basically her life, and she doesn't really care about shoppings and make-ups. Her big dream is to go to Alabama and study there, while playing at their team. Right after I checked the summary out, I thought "the author must be really talented to write something like this. The issues that Jordan would have to deal with would be huge". And it didn't disappoint me. Jordan's issues were, indeed, huge. A girl playing football and being the QB is unusual, to say the least, and she has a bunch of people disrespecting her, sexist men, and awful cheerleaders constantly trying to get a rise out of her. I'd say her problems are just like a teenager's, if you multiply that for 10.

Aside from that, she spends most of her time with her friends. But being the QB and not being into girly stuff does not do wonders for Jordan's friendships. That is, she has mostly boys as friends.

But when Tyler Green steps into her field for the first time, Jordan feels that sparkle of interest. The new kid is hot, and makes football look easy. When Jordan starts to fall for him, you can only imagine how confusing her mind is. She's never dealed with this kind of thing, it's all new to her.

But Jordan is a tough girl, and fights her feelings and desires for Ty as much as possible. It's nice to see a girl who doesn't have lady-manners, who punches a guy in the gut if he says something about her, and is just nice. That's the world I'd use to describe Jordan. Football isn't a girly sport, and even though her father doesn't support her, she's falling apart because of her feelings, and there's a lot of sexist men not giving a crap about her choices, she still goes ahead and fights for her dream.

Henry, her best friend in the world, is reason I put this book in the "crush-worthy-guys" shelf. He's sweet, funny, sarcastic, and cares a lot about Jordan. Honestly, I don't know how Jordan didn't realize (view spoiler). I've nothing against Tyler, but throughout the book, a sense of dislike and annoyance kept growing in me, until I couldn't stand the guy. Yes, he's supposed to be the perfect boyfriend and all, but Henry won my heart over since the first chapter. (view spoiler)

The ending was sweet and it felt right. I really loved this book -- it was a fun, light, romantic read. One that brought a smile to my face as I was reading the last page.

This review's also in A Whole World in Pages.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Catching Jordan.

December 7, 2011 – Started Reading
December 7, 2011 – Shelved
December 8, 2011 –
page 136
47.22% "Aww, I'm loving this book <3"
December 8, 2011 – Shelved as: awesome-protagonist