Cynthia's Reviews > Temptation & Twilight

Temptation  & Twilight by Charlotte Featherstone

Dec 07, 2011

bookshelves: arc-review-net-galley, historical-romance, favorites
Recommended for: Those of you seeking vast emotion in your hot romance
Read from May 10 to 13, 2012 , read count: Never enough

Reviewed at Bitten By Paranormal Romance

A stupendous finish to the Guardian Brethren series. Ms. Featherstone delivers a majestic and powerful love story for the ages. Of unrequited love that will break your heart, wrench it in two, and have you gnashing your teeth. Buried within this exquisite romance is the gradual of reemergence of hope, trust, and truest love.

Iain Sinclair, or Alynwick as his friends call him, is a heartless, cold bastard, "forever scandalizing the English peers with his brutish Scottish ways." It's easy to cast Alynwick in the usual mold as the unrepentant rake at first glance, but once you start turning the pages, you find a tormented man. A man willing to do anything to get back the love of his life.

Iain sent Black a glare, aware that he appeared debauched. But he wasn't. He was restless, mindless. There was a sickness ruling his thoughts, and if he had the courage to look through the darkness inside him, he'd be able to name the illness. He was heartsick, his soul crying out for the one remedy that could cure his illness. Elizabeth.

Elizabeth may be blind, but she doesn't let that define who she is. She is the bravest, strongest heroine I have ever read. Lizzy has her brief moments of doubt when she lashes out in fear and self-pity, but they don't last long.

"I only though to help," she said, hating the sadness in her voice. "What is left to me? I have no husband or children to occupy my time. I can't see to paint or embroider, or read, or decorate. I can't even shop without another set of eyes escorting me. I have nothing, Adrian. Nothing!"

"That's not true."

"Oh, do not lie to yourself, thinking you are making me feel better. Lies only make me feel worse, for I know they are spoken out of pity. The truth is, I have never complained about my blindness or bemoaned my fate. I always had the Brethren Guardians to make me feel worthwhile and capable. I had you and Black to talk to, and I was involved in discussions, in the history or our ancestors. I was a part of the group, and it kept me happy. Now you are denying me the one thing that made my life worth anything."

TEMPTATION & TWILIGHT brings to a close the mystery surrounding Orpheus in a grand fashion. I was so caught up in the passion of Lizzy and Alynwick, that when all is revealed, I didn't see it coming.

I have been a devotee of Ms. Featherstone's historical romance since I read her work Sinful and to this day it remains #1 on my most favorite of all time historical romance works. TEMPTATION & TWILIGHT, My Darlings, will now rank as #2.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Temptation & Twilight.

05/10/2012 page 133
35.0% "It's everything I hoped it would be and more! A hero full of self-loathing for what he has had to do in the past, a beautiful and strong heroine who doubts her role in life, and strong secondary characters. Full of raging emotion and sinister plots."