Kristin (KC) - Traveling Sister's Reviews > The Summer List

The Summer List by Amy Mason Doan
Rate this book
Clear rating

by
4971692
's review

really liked it

*3.5 Stars* - rounded up because the first half of this book was everything!

A touching story of friendship…


THE SUMMER LIST had me divided. The first half was a solid five-star read, one I could not put down. The setting alone was enough to make me want to dive inside these pages and swim across the sunlit lake beside these lovable characters.

This author brought to life the undeniable purity and intoxicating fervor of young friends. Of new friends. The friendship of Laura and Casey was like a love story in and of itself: the wanting the be liked, wondering what the other is thinking, spending every waking moment together … their companionship even fell into a forbidden sort-of territory with one set of parents’ disproval of the other’s.

Their bond felt invaluable, and larger than life—like it was the only thing that mattered on earth, as childhood friendships tend to become. The plot wasn't delivered in a tell-me manner, but revealed itself in detail through vivid imagery and bewitching descriptions, and I was fully entranced.

The story is set largely in the past, with glimpses of present-time conditions, offering little insight into this mysterious rift between the girls. As the past eventually catches up to the present, we learn very slowly what it was that severed their bond—a reveal that, for me, didn’t ultimately fulfill its hype.

The enchanting tone I’d come to love faded away within the second half of this story, and the writing began to feel like writing, and the plot began to drag. I wanted back the initial appeal, and I grew conflicted by my sudden urge to skim though a read I’d been so eager to savor.

It was an unfortunate shift, but I can’t say the story was completely lost. It was able to claim me once again, here and there, with its pockets of charm and bouts of sweetness. The ending was a lovely wrap-up, even if I was no longer entirely invested.

I do think many will readers will enjoy this emotional portrayal of friendship and love that spans decades and very much warms the heart.

Sister Read, and a perfect selection in the midst of this heat wave! 😅

*Huge thanks to publisher and Edelweiss for providing a copy in exchange for an honest review!*
147 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Summer List.
Sign In »

Reading Progress

July 1, 2018 – Shelved
July 1, 2018 – Shelved as: to-read
July 2, 2018 – Started Reading
July 6, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-45 of 45 (45 new)

dateDown arrow    newest »

Meredith B.  (readingwithmere) I loved this one! I hope you did too Kristin!


Kristin (KC) - Traveling Sister Meredith B. wrote: "I loved this one! I hope you did too Kristin!"

Really loving so far, Meredith! I'm glad to see your *five stars* for this one! :D


Babydimps (Suzy) I’m starting this today! Looking forward to it! 😊


Kristin (KC) - Traveling Sister Yay, I think you’re gonna enjoy—from what I’ve read so far! ☺️


message 5: by Jaline (new)

Jaline I'm looking forward to your review, KC!


message 6: by Melissa (new)

Melissa This sounds SO cute! I hope you all enjoy it. 😘


message 7: by Tina (new)

Tina I'd like to read this one! Can't wait for your thoughts.


Kristin (KC) - Traveling Sister Thanks, gals! It’s such a fun read so far 😊


(Bern) Mom to 2 Posh Lil Divas Just picked this one up yesterday! I'm saving it to take with me on my upcoming vacation but can't wait to read it.


Kristin (KC) - Traveling Sister Bern—excellent choice! I’m halfway in and loving it! I think this’ll make the perfect vacation read. Enjoy it, and your trip! ☺️


message 11: by Miriam (new)

Miriam Smith Fab cover Kristin! Glad you enjoying so far 😊


Norma * Traveling Sister I'll be back......LOL


message 13: by KAS (new)

KAS Sorry the entire story wasn’t a five star read, but glad you enjoyed the ending, Kristin! Terrific review ;) xoxo


message 14: by Meredith (new)

Meredith Wonderful review, Kristin! So sorry this faded as you read. Hope your next read is a five star!


Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂ Lovely review!


message 16: by Susanne (new)

Susanne Strong Great review Kris! Glad you liked this. :)


Kristin (KC) - Traveling Sister Miriam wrote: "Fab cover Kristin! Glad you enjoying so far 😊"

Thanks, Miriam! :-)

Norma * Traveling Sister wrote: "I'll be back......LOL"

lol Hope you're enjoying, Norma!

KAS wrote: "Sorry the entire story wasn’t a five star read, but glad you enjoyed the ending, Kristin! Terrific review ;) xoxo"

Thanks, Kas! :-)

Meredith wrote: "Wonderful review, Kristin! So sorry this faded as you read. Hope your next read is a five star!"

It happens sometimes :-) Thanks, sweet gal!

Carol ꧁꧂ wrote: "Lovely review!"

Thanks, Carol! :D

Susanne wrote: "Great review Kris! Glad you liked this. :)"

Thanks, Suze! :-)


message 18: by Carol (Bookaria) (last edited Jul 06, 2018 02:39PM) (new)

Carol (Bookaria) Glad you enjoyed it, Kristin! I recently read a book similar to this one where the first half was completely different from the second half.


message 19: by Melissa (new)

Melissa What an enchanting review, Kris. 💜 I'm sorry to hear this didn't keep you entirely invested, but at least it delivered a reprieve from the heat wave and I'm sure the sisters offered a fun discussion. I hope we have one together sometime soon.


message 20: by Jaline (new)

Jaline Lovely, well-balanced review, Kristin!


Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader Wonderful review, Kris! You described in a thoughtful and well-written way what worked for you and didn’t. I have this one coming up and hope it’ll be an even read for me. I am looking forward to it, especially all those lovely things you wrote about. ♥️ I love your reviews!


Norma * Traveling Sister I love your review, Kristin and I am very eager to finish this now and see if I feel that switch as well. Will chat soon.......


Kristin (KC) - Traveling Sister Carol (Bookaria) wrote: "Glad you enjoyed it, Kristin! I recently read a book similar to this one where the first half was completely different from the second half."

***Thanks, Carol! It’s a bummer when that happens, but loving half is better than nothing! Lol ;-)

Melissa wrote: "What an enchanting review, Kris. 💜 I'm sorry to hear this didn't keep you entirely invested, but at least it delivered a reprieve from the heat wave and I'm sure the sisters offered a fun discussio..."

***Thanks, Chickie! It’s always fun chatting w the sisters. I’m going to be reading Ghosted with you all (if I get my BoTM in time). I’m really looking forward to reading with you again 🤗

Jaline wrote: "Lovely, well-balanced review, Kristin!"

***Thanks so much, Jaline! ❤️

Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader & Traveling Sister wrote: "Wonderful review, Kris! You described in a thoughtful and well-written way what worked for you and didn’t. I have this one coming up and hope it’ll be an even read for me. I am looking forward to i..."

***Awe, thanks so much, sweet girl! The first half alone was well worth the read. I really hope you love the whole book! Lol. I’ll be looking forward to your thoughts ☺️

Norma * Traveling Sister wrote: "I love your review, Kristin and I am very eager to finish this now and see if I feel that switch as well. Will chat soon......."

***My fingers are crossed for you, Norma! 🤞🏻 I feel like you’re going to be happy with the ending...maybe I was too picky. Thank you, friend! 💕


message 24: by Julie (new)

Julie Wonderful review, Kristin!! 😊


Kristin (KC) - Traveling Sister Julie wrote: "Wonderful review, Kristin!! 😊"

Thanks, Julie! ☺️


Kendall Wonderful review KC! I felt similar to you on this one :).


Kristin (KC) - Traveling Sister Kendall wrote: "Wonderful review KC! I felt similar to you on this one :)."

Thanks so much, Kendall! :-)


message 28: by Natalie (new)

Natalie Great review Kris 🙌


message 29: by Nazanin (new)

Nazanin Wonderful review, Kristin! Sorry the second half wasn't as good as the first half! :)


Kristin (KC) - Traveling Sister Thanks, Natalie and Naz! 😊


message 31: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Joint Wonderful review, Kristin! So well written!


message 32: by Angela M (new)

Angela M Terrific review, Kristin! Sorry all of it wasn’t “everything” - loved that line though !


Kristin (KC) - Traveling Sister Sarah wrote: "Wonderful review, Kristin! So well written!"

***Thank you so much, Sarah! 😊

Angela M wrote: "Terrific review, Kristin! Sorry all of it wasn’t “everything” - loved that line though !"

***Haha! Thanks, Angela ☺️


Tammy Great review Kristin! 😊


Mary Beth *Traveling Sister* Wonderful review, Kristin! Wish this stayed as a 5 star for you. Hope your next one is a lot better.


message 36: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Sounds like a fun book!! Thanks for the great review.


Kristin (KC) - Traveling Sister Tammy wrote: "Great review Kristin! 😊"

***Thank you, Tammy! ☺️

Mary Beth *Traveling Sister* wrote: "Wonderful review, Kristin! Wish this stayed as a 5 star for you. Hope your next one is a lot better."

***Thanks so much, MB! Fingers crossed😄

Rachel wrote: "Sounds like a fun book!! Thanks for the great review."

***It was a fun read—especially first half—just lovely! ☺️


message 38: by Jonetta (new)

Jonetta Glad you were able to hang in there and still feel good about the story, Kristin. Hate when a book loses its initial allure but it sounds like it turned out okay. Excellent review!


Kristin (KC) - Traveling Sister Jonetta wrote: "Glad you were able to hang in there and still feel good about the story, Kristin. Hate when a book loses its initial allure but it sounds like it turned out okay. Excellent review!"

Thanks so much, Jonetta! ☺️ The setting of this one was wonderful


Kaceey - Traveling Sister Wonderful review Kristin!😊


Kristin (KC) - Traveling Sister Kaceey - Traveling Sister wrote: "Wonderful review Kristin!😊"

Thank you, Kaceey! :-)


Mackenzie - PhDiva Books Wish it had been as good as the beginning the whole way through, but I'm so glad you enjoyed it! Such a great review, Kristin!!!


Kristin (KC) - Traveling Sister Mackenzie - Traveling Sister wrote: "Wish it had been as good as the beginning the whole way through, but I'm so glad you enjoyed it! Such a great review, Kristin!!!"

Thank so much, Kenzie! ☺️


message 44: by Mackey (new)

Mackey Terrific review Kris!


Kristin (KC) - Traveling Sister Mackey wrote: "Terrific review Kris!"

Thanks, Mack! :D


back to top