Ashley Houser's Reviews > When the Lights Go Out

When the Lights Go Out by Mary Kubica

liked it

Expected Publication: Tomorrow!

Man! I really wanted this book to be amazing! Mary Kubica is such a superstar author and I've loved everything of hers I've ever read. But unfortunately When the Lights Go Out was not my favorite book.

It's super hard to describe this book without giving away spoilers, but essentially the book is about a girl who is taking care of her dying mother. With the anxiety and worry that comes with a dying family member, she can't sleep. What follows is a question of delusion or reality.

So my thoughts... The first 90% of the book was enthralling. So many bizarre things happened, and I wanted to know what was coming next. Unfortunately, what was coming next was a complete let down. The end made me want to hurl my book across the room in frustration. While I understand where Kubica was going with it, it just wasn't for me.

But don't take my opinion as fact. Read it for yourself. It comes out tomorrow and is sure to be a good controversial, conversation starter in book clubs across the nation.

-I received this book in exchange for an honest review. Thank you to NetGalley, Mary Kubica, and HARLEQUIN for the opportunity to review.-

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read When the Lights Go Out.

July 1, 2018 – Started Reading