Sylwia (Wish Fulfillment)'s Reviews > Monday's Not Coming

Monday's Not Coming by Tiffany D. Jackson

Content warnings: Bullying, slut-shaming (challenged), systemic racism and classism (challenged), on-the-page and off-the-page child abuse, off-the-page domestic violence, and possibly more.

The Only Thing That Didn't Work For Me:
The reason for the "Before", "Before the Before", "After", etc., timeline didn't work for me. I appreciate the uniqueness but I think it takes us out of the story a bit in the end because the reasoning for it wasn't written in a believable way.

Why I Recommend Moving This UP On Your TBR:
Technical
We need to start by discussing the writing style, plot structure, and technical work done here. For a novel to excel as much as this one has, the author has to perfect the technical elements so we can fall right into the story and forget we're reading a book. Jackson nails that. Even though the formatting of the timeline is unusual and hard to follow, we learn later on how even those elements add to the story.
Content
I work in child welfare so this book was all of the way up my alley. There is so much validation in seeing the world around you reflected in a novel, even if the topics depicted and discussed here are heartbreaking. Jackson is able to create believable characters and community and believable overlapping conflicts because she is mirroring life. She processed intense topics like systemic racism and classism bluntly but was also able to subtly discuss child abuse and how children process pain. My favorite of the elements in the novel is the entire character of April. April is a character you could easily unpack in a adolescent psychology course because she gives the entire story away with her behavior. Michael is in the novel to show us the healthy vs. unhealthy behavior of a teenage boy.
Conclusion
Jackson ticked all of my boxes including keeping me on the edge of my seat. I could not put this book down.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Monday's Not Coming.

July 1, 2018 – Shelved
July 1, 2018 – Shelved as: to-read
October 2, 2018 – Started Reading
October 3, 2018 –
10.0% "Loving this already."
October 4, 2018 –
October 4, 2018 –
October 4, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

bookellenic I absolutely loved this book and it destroyed me, yes I am with you on the timeline format, but the skill Jackson displayed in this plus her storytelling capabilities blew me away!

Sylwia (Wish Fulfillment) Amen! Thank you for reminding me that I need to read more of this authors work!