Bee (Heart Full of Books)'s Reviews > Ultraviolet

Ultraviolet by R.J. Anderson

it was ok

Usually, I like going into books blind, however 'Ultraviolet' was testament for why that's sometimes not a good idea.

R.J.Anderson is the author of one of my all-time favourite series, Knife (known as Faery Rebels in the US), and I'd seen 'Ultraviolet' advertised in the back of my copy of Arrow, so I've been aware of this books existence for a long time. But back then I wasn't really into thrillers, and it was only after hearing that the main character in the companion novel, 'QuickSilver', identifies as asexual that I thought I should start the series.

The beginning seemed really promising - the writing was as good as I remembered - but then it started to drag in the middle. It's not the first book I've read about a synesthete, and not the first book I've read set in a mental facility either, so maybe if it had been the first on either of those accounts I would have found it more entertaining. The reason I say I wish I'd known more about it was mostly the shock sci-fi twist that occurs 75% through.

For an otherwise contemporary, what I believed to be thriller, this required too much suspension of disbelief, and if it wasn't for the hope of an ace protagonist in the companion, I probably would've DNF'd. Although, the ace girl is an alien so...so much for representation. But I'm holding my tongue, because I haven't read book two yet, and I need to go in with an open mind!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ultraviolet.

July 1, 2018 – Started Reading