Samantha Newman's Reviews > The Devil in the White City

The Devil in the White City by Erik Larson

Jun 27, 2007

liked it
bookshelves: historicalfiction

It was interesting to me, being from Chicago. I wasn't sure how much of the story was "true" and how much was fictional, which is a fine thing to not be sure about seeing that it was a novel, but I kind of wished I knew. I do think I learned a lot about Chicago history that I never knew before, and the World's Fair is pretty interesting.

The thing I didn't like was that the book really felt like it was building up to this big reveal about the main criminal, or some way that he was going to overlap with the other main character. And it never got there. There was not a big reveal (at least not that matched the buildup), there was no overlap that I remember...it was a bit anticlimactic and it seemed like the author didn't care so much about the ending as he did about the rest of the book and researching it. You could definitely feel the researched quality of it, and I'm not sure that's a good thing.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Devil in the White City.

message 1: by Aga (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:24AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Aga hey I really loved this book, I think he was trying to make it as real as possible, I'm guessing just by the amount of footnotes and references, although, you can never retell a story unless you were there...but anyways, I just loved the fact that I was reading it as a fiction book, but i kept having to stop myself and be like, wait a second... this actually happened! I loved it!