C.G. Drews's Reviews > Dry

Dry by Neal Shusterman

bookshelves: 4-star, apocalyptic, young-adult, read-2018

I am actually so so thirsty right now. I have drunken more water while reading this book than I've drank in my entire life so like 10/10 this book will remind you to HYDRATE. Forget putting a reminder on your phone to drink more -- just read DRY and you will start crying over a tiny cup of water with gratitude.

Also I have a question: why do Neal Shusterman books ALWAYS LEAVE ME THOROUGHLY TRAUMATISED I CAN'T EVEN.

(Also love how this is a father/son author collab! That's pretty cool to raise your kids to be writers! Although logically if I have children someday I will raise them to be chefs so they can feed me while I write. But that is a tangent.)

Anyway, this was good! In a...traumatic kind of way. It's an apocalyptic road trip with super high stakes (find water vs die) and throws us into a world where you can't turn the tap on and take a drink. In fact, there is no water to be had anywhere. Obviously humans need water to survive more than anything, so watching the universe spiral out of control so fast and viciously was both terrifying and absolutely realistic. This book is dedicated to climate change and, woahhhhh, it is such a slap in the face. Which is GOOD. We all need this slap. Holy heckkk though. Why did we break our planet.

It has a lot of POVs which surprised me a bit. I felt all sorts of warm things for the characters at the end, but I admit the beginning took me quite a while to warm up to them. The focus is the PLOT and the PREMISE instead of the characters...which is a downside for me. But won't be for all!

so we have...

Alyssa | who's personality was honestly "being trustworthy" and while I liked her, I don't know her at all tbh
Kelton | he's the nextdoor kid that Alyssa always thought was creepy because his dad is a seriously "THE APOCALYPSE IS COMING" dude and totally lives for survival...like they own generators and their house is a fortress and they are pREPPED for the end of the world. I really liked Kelton! He is weird and awkward and cute and ... yeah kind of scary.
Garret | he's Alyssa's 10yo little brother
Jacqui | I swear she is the best thing ever. She kind of just gets tangled up in their journey due to circumstances but she is TERRIFYING and will bite things and if she yelled at the sky, 100% chance it would just rain. I LOVE HER
Henry | he is a little Slytherin piece of cunning nastiest and he is SO slimy but I loved his inclusion into the story because it really messed with the dynamics?! so intriguing

The plot was basically freak out --> travel --> lose hope --> keep travelling. Very much action and adventure and while journey-plots aren't my fav (I just wanna get there already) it kept my attention! And it kept the tension SO TAUT. I had literally no prediction of if these kids would find water or dIE or if the world would just turn into a savage raging beast?!?

Shout out to the ending. I am so stressed. I am actually the stressiest.

I think it also is a good social commentary on how the world is today. And it, of course, talks about how far people will fall in the face of death and tragedy. Like what would YOU do for water if you hadn't had any for 2 days??? Things like this change people and it's terrifying and chilling and I found it so realistically done. This book is so much about horrible things.

AND IT MADE ME SO THIRSTY. That's how vivid it was!

So definitely check this one out if you are a fan of the apocalypse and freaking out. Bring some water with you while you read because you will need it. It is more about the desperate race to get water and live as opposed to really developing the characters (it reminded me of the Gone series actually) but it's captivating. And STRESSFUL.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dry.

July 1, 2018 – Shelved
July 1, 2018 – Shelved as: to-read
October 11, 2018 – Started Reading
October 11, 2018 –
page 100
25.64% "This is making me thirsty AND freaking me out 0_0"
October 11, 2018 –
page 309
79.23% "This reminds me a lot of the Gone series (which I loved as a teen!) but thirstier and I have zero freaking clue how this is going to end."
October 12, 2018 – Shelved as: 4-star
October 12, 2018 – Shelved as: apocalyptic
October 12, 2018 – Shelved as: young-adult
October 12, 2018 – Shelved as: read-2018
October 12, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)

message 1: by Danielle (new)

Danielle I am thirsty just reading the review haha

Serena I am INTRIGUED. Although a little afraid of the stress part? Also, why did we break our planet indeed. Ugh.

message 3: by Alyssa (new) - added it

Alyssa OMG, ANOTHER ALYSSA. I AM 10/10 GONNA READ THIS NOW. Except ... I am not, necessarily, a "trustworthy" person???? Lmao

C.G. Drews I'm not even kidding, I drank SO MUCH WATER reading this. The whole book made me so dehydrated 😭😂

C.G. Drews @Alyssa: You're like a Slytherin right?! This Alyssa is PURE GRYFFINDOR.

message 6: by Christine (new)

Christine Wonderful review! I completely know what you mean about his books being traumatizing. I had to take frequent stress breaks reading the Unwind series.

C.G. Drews @Christine: omg me too! I never even finished it (although I'm meaning to!) because the first one freaked me out so much. 😂

Wendy I got "Gone" vibes from this too, though Dry is so much better.

Candice I was so thirsty too 😂😂 my water intake was higher than normal.