Brendan's Reviews > The Ploughmen

The Ploughmen by Kim Zupan

bookshelves: novel, recommendation

Kim Zupan has written a beautifully dark and disturbing book that reminds me of the old literature of the 50s and 60s. This is very tough to read and is nice to see that authors still exist, who can turn a one shot setting into twenty pages of amazing writing. The Road by Cormac McCarthy has been sitting on my shelf for years and because of this book, I'll be reading that novel shortly. I have no idea how this book came to be on my list, but I can strongly suggest it was a Goodread review or recommendation.

The poetic writing and deliberate pacing holds your attention on the characters. Kim Zupan has written another of my top 2018 books and I'm a little annoyed I hadn't come across this book earlier. This book is like an indie film, some will love it, while others will hate it. The characters are dark and even our central character isn't the dashing hero everybody is wanting. He is a deeply flawed character and that is what makes his interactions with the evil John Gload all the more compelling. This relationship is impossible to gauge and while you may have ideas of where the storyline might lead to, it's near impossible to guess the ending.

Why the 5?

Give credit where credit is due. Kim Zupan is a talent to behold and I cannot wait for the next book. This was released in 2014 so another could hit the shelves shortly, fingers crossed the author reads these reviews. The harshness of the environment is on every page and you can feel an author at his highest creative heights here, the beautiful writing is on every page. This is why I love literature and not the quick thrill airport novels, this has depth and takes longer to read, even though it has shorter pages. This was a nice surprise and reading with Hold the Dark, delivered a one-two punch for the 2018 year finale.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Ploughmen.

July 1, 2018 – Shelved
July 1, 2018 – Shelved as: to-read
December 4, 2018 – Started Reading
December 4, 2018 – Shelved as: novel
December 4, 2018 –
page 0
0.0% "Book after Ghost Brigades"
December 12, 2018 –
page 0
0.0% "next train book after A Crack in Creation - really need to stop pushing books in front of the other"
December 13, 2018 –
page 28
December 13, 2018 –
page 28
10.94% "Tough book to read on a train. Good though"
December 18, 2018 –