Rusty Grey's Reviews > The Fellowship of the Ring

The Fellowship of the Ring by J.R.R. Tolkien

“All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

From the ashes a fire shall be woken,
A light from the shadows shall spring;
Renewed shall be blade that was broken,
The crownless again shall be king.”

This review is going to be more about my experience with this book rather than about the book itself . Everyone knows the story . And there already has been said much about it . So I don't need repeat it .

The Fellowship of the Ring kind of a bittersweet novel . For about 40% of the book almost put me to sleep . But the beginning and the ending were really fun . That being said , this book is best as it is .

It would be really difficult for me to talk about this book so I'd rather write the review in two categories . What worked for me and what didn't .

Pros :

⭐ The characters . I loved almost every character in the novel . Apart from the hobbits , Gandalf was definitely my favorite character .

⭐ The plot . Good vs Evil . It's still my favorite theme for any novel .

“The road must be trod, but it will be very hard. And neither strength nor wisdom will carry us far upon it. This quest may be attempted by the weak with as much hope as the strong. Yet it is oft the course of deeds that move the wheels of the world: Small hands do them because they must, while the eyes of the great are elsewhere.”

⭐ The Setting . Ah!! How I wish I lived in Middle-Earth with all those hobbits and elves and dwarves ?! Tolkein's world has endured more than half a century . And that's saying something .

“Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement.”

⭐ The Quotes . Sounds weird?! Maybe . But I like quotes . And Tolkein has set a benchmark in writing great quotes .(not comparing to Shakespeare)

Cons

⭐ The plot was soooo slow . Maybe this book was meant to be a slow burn adventure . But I've been spoiled . Fast paced novels and character driven tight plots have made me lazy . Half the time Tolkein was describing the trees , or the birds or the winds . These descriptions were a welcome relief at first . But then it was too much too soon .

Tolkein's writing is fairly simple . Though a bit out of fashion it's easy to understand .

And lastly , I would say , this book/series is important . I mean this book almost single handedly brought the fantasy genre into mainstream . You'd have to give that guy at least that . And thus , I respect the slowness of the book . It's appropriate for the novel . Even I'm saying this . Fans of fantasy literature should read Lord Of The Rings at least once in their life .

And a special shoutout to Frodo , Sam , Merry and Pippin for reading this with me . It was really fun guys how we bonded together while reading this book .

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Fellowship of the Ring.

Quotes Rusty Liked

J.R.R. Tolkien
“All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

From the ashes a fire shall be woken,
A light from the shadows shall spring;
Renewed shall be blade that was broken,
The crownless again shall be king.”
J.R.R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring

June 30, 2018 – Started Reading
June 30, 2018 – Shelved
July 2, 2018 –
page 20
4.73% "Some progress after all ."
July 4, 2018 –
page 100
23.64% ""I wish it need not have happened in my time ," said Frodo .

"So do I," said Gandalf ," and so do all who live to see such times . But that is not for them to decide . All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us.

I'm here for Tolkein's quotes ."
July 6, 2018 –
page 150
35.46% "This book has that warm feeling which I would have enjoyed much more in winter. I'm loving this . And Merry and Pippin are my favorite characters .

"
July 13, 2018 –
page 170
July 18, 2018 –
page 200
47.28% "I'm probably the slowest in the group . But the descriptions are really heavy ."
July 20, 2018 –
page 250
59.1% "This book might not be what I expected . But it's good enough ."
July 22, 2018 –
page 350
82.74% "Is this book supposed to make me sad ?!"
July 23, 2018 – Finished Reading
July 25, 2018 – Shelved as: 2018-read
July 25, 2018 – Shelved as: 3-stars
July 25, 2018 – Shelved as: epic-fantasy
July 25, 2018 – Shelved as: we-never-go-out-of-style
July 25, 2018 – Shelved as: villains
July 25, 2018 – Shelved as: not-as-good-as-expected

Comments Showing 1-45 of 45 (45 new)

Tani ~Hiatus~ Hope you enjoy it. 😊

Fuzaila Ah yess!! THIS OUGHT TO BE GOOD

Rusty Grey Taniksha wrote: "Hope you enjoy it. 😊"

Thanks Tani!! 😀

Rusty Grey Fuzaila wrote: "Ah yess!! THIS OUGHT TO BE GOOD"

YES!! IT BETTER BE !!!

message 5: by Sr3yas (new) - added it

Sr3yas Woot! Have fun, Rusty!

Rusty Grey Sr3yas wrote: "Woot! Have fun, Rusty!"

Thanks Sreyas!! :D

Rusty Grey Jennifer (Jen/The Tolkien Gal) wrote: "YAS! So excited."

Me too !!!

Shaina Yes, Rusty! Friggin awesome. Wield that sword, dude. Sounds fun! You and your own fellowship.

Rusty Grey Shaina wrote: "Yes, Rusty! Friggin awesome. Wield that sword, dude. Sounds fun! You and your own fellowship."

Haha. Thanks Shaina!! This fellowship is really fun .

Bhavik (Semi Hiatus) Looks like we are on same progress level XD
not how we hoped it would have been..

Also Mistborn BR is getting so close :x

Rusty Grey Bhavik wrote: "Looks like we are on same progress level XD
not how we hoped it would have been..

Also Mistborn BR is getting so close :x"

Lol. Looks like we'll be taking it slow dude . The chapters are slow but enjoyable. Let's relish in its slowness . XD

And yes I'm DAMN EXCITED about the Mistborn BR . My first time Sanderson .

Bhavik (Semi Hiatus) I am probably trying XD

Mine too! Yes!
I am gonna die of information overload xD

Jen/The Tolkien Gal/ジェニファー Merry and Pippin are awesome! I love them so much as a duo.

Rusty Grey Jennifer (Jen/The Tolkien Gal) wrote: "Merry and Pippin are awesome! I love them so much as a duo."

One of the best duos I've ever read about . 😀

Fuzaila Waiting for your review Rusty!! I'm guessing you enjoyed it better than me :))

Rusty Grey Fuzaila wrote: "Waiting for your review Rusty!! I'm guessing you enjoyed it better than me :))"

message 18: by Fuzaila (last edited Jul 23, 2018 09:22AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Fuzaila Rusty wrote: "Fuzaila wrote: "Waiting for your review Rusty!! I'm guessing you enjoyed it better than me :))"

It's gonna happen soon don't worry . :P Yes , I did enjoy this quite a bit . More like 3 stars for me ."

unlike Bhavik, OI'm sure you do honor your rtcs :P
yeah it was confusing, rating this,, coz that ending was very good but I couldn't overlook the fact that I slept through half the book :3

Bhavik (Semi Hiatus) Fuzaila wrote: "Rusty wrote: "Fuzaila wrote: "Waiting for your review Rusty!! I'm guessing you enjoyed it better than me :))"

Jeez dont go ruining my name woman
I do write sometimes.. :P

I honestly dont know what to rate too lol.

Lets see how you and Jen do the review...mine will be on the lines of Fuzzy if it ever materialises :P

Jen/The Tolkien Gal/ジェニファー Bhavik wrote: "Fuzaila wrote: "Rusty wrote: "Fuzaila wrote: "Waiting for your review Rusty!! I'm guessing you enjoyed it better than me :))"

It's gonna happen soon don't worry . :P Yes , I did enjoy this quite a..."

Mine will probably be like "Hello. This is my Bible. goodbye" XD

Bhavik (Semi Hiatus) Well that was different than what I had in mind XD
Well nothing less coming from famous Tolkein Gal herself ;)

message 22: by Jen/The Tolkien Gal/ジェニファー (last edited Jul 23, 2018 12:32PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jen/The Tolkien Gal/ジェニファー Bhavik wrote: "Well that was different than what I had in mind XD
Well nothing less coming from famous Tolkein Gal herself ;)"

Haha XD I'll write a review similar to Gardens of the Moon where I just get sappy and gush. I don't got no Tolkien tattoos for nothing.

Wow, I really have a problem.

Bhavik (Semi Hiatus) Jennifer (Jen/The Tolkien Gal) wrote: "Bhavik wrote: "Well that was different than what I had in mind XD
Well nothing less coming from famous Tolkein Gal herself ;)"

Haha XD I'll write a review similar to Gardens of the Moon where I ju..."

Okay..that would indeed be the best day.
Also dont remind me of those tats and the stuff you own..so much NEED ;_;

That you do XD

Also if you have read this multiple times how come no previous sappy and gushy review before?

Jen/The Tolkien Gal/ジェニファー Bhavik wrote: "Jennifer (Jen/The Tolkien Gal) wrote: "Bhavik wrote: "Well that was different than what I had in mind XD
Well nothing less coming from famous Tolkein Gal herself ;)"

Haha XD I'll write a review si..."

The last time I read LotR I wasn't into reviewing yet :) I only got active mid last year, and then I hadn't reread again.

Bhavik (Semi Hiatus) Ah okay...I am glad I met the active you then ;)
Made things hella more interesting!

Fuzaila Bhavik wrote: "Fuzaila wrote: "Rusty wrote: "Fuzaila wrote: "Waiting for your review Rusty!! I'm guessing you enjoyed it better than me :))"

It's gonna happen soon don't worry . :P Yes , I did enjoy this quite a..."

Not quite enough :P
I'm looking forward to you finishing the book and beating us all with your review xD

Fuzaila Jennifer (Jen/The Tolkien Gal) wrote: "Bhavik wrote: "Fuzaila wrote: "Rusty wrote: "Fuzaila wrote: "Waiting for your review Rusty!! I'm guessing you enjoyed it better than me :))"

It's gonna happen soon don't worry . :P Yes , I did enj..."

That's indeed a really accurate way to put it, for you I guess :P But still, I hope you do a proper review ;)

Bhavik (Semi Hiatus) Fuzaila wrote: "Bhavik wrote: "Fuzaila wrote: "Rusty wrote: "Fuzaila wrote: "Waiting for your review Rusty!! I'm guessing you enjoyed it better than me :))"

It's gonna happen soon don't worry . :P Yes , I did enj..."

Like you even stalk me that much :P

Dont put so much pressure on me ;-;

Fuzaila no, but I expect it to pop on my feed constantly with activity from everyone else who stalk you :P

take your time and no pressure for reviews, honestly :P xD

Bhavik (Semi Hiatus) Who would even stalk this poor unpopular guy..its me who stalks :3
So you gotta do it yourself

Fine fine xD
See you in 50 years for that :P

Em Lost In Books ouch! only 3. :(

Fares Awesome review rusty

Rusty Grey Manju wrote: "ouch! only 3. :("

Rusty Grey Fares wrote: "Awesome review rusty"

Thanks Fares !! :D

Em Lost In Books Rusty wrote: "Manju wrote: "ouch! only 3. :("

Hey c'mon . I did like it . It was just that it was a bit too boring . But I've heard that the sequels get better . :)"

hmpf! sequel is exactly like this. :P

Rusty Grey You are not exactly letting my hopes get high . XD

Bhavik (Semi Hiatus) The books will have lesser pages :P

Rusty Grey Bhavik wrote: "The books will have lesser pages :P"

At least we have that working for us. XD

Bhavik (Semi Hiatus) Rusty wrote: "Bhavik wrote: "The books will have lesser pages :P"

At least we have that working for us. XD"

Heck yes XD

Shaina Oh yes. It gets more exciting as it goes along for sure. Nice way to just piece your thoughts and get them down. I hope you like the second though cause it’s worth it for the last ! Good luck. 🍀

Fuzaila Great review Rusty xD

Jen/The Tolkien Gal/ジェニファー Gorgeous review, Rusty! It all gets better as the journey continues :)

Rusty Grey Shaina wrote: "Oh yes. It gets more exciting as it goes along for sure. Nice way to just piece your thoughts and get them down. I hope you like the second though cause it’s worth it for the last ! Good luck. 🍀"

Thanks Shaina!! I hope so too . :))

Rusty Grey Fuzaila wrote: "Great review Rusty xD"

Thanks Fuzaila . :D

Rusty Grey Jennifer (Jen/The Tolkien Gal) wrote: "Gorgeous review, Rusty! It all gets better as the journey continues :)"

Thank you Jen!! Hopefully so . 😀