Samantha's Reviews > A Closed and Common Orbit

A Closed and Common Orbit by Becky Chambers

Read 2 times. Last read June 30, 2018 to July 5, 2018.

I really enjoyed the first book of this series, but I have to say, I like this one even better, maybe because it was more tightly focused on only two characters. The main characters of this book had relatively minor parts in the first book: Lovelace (later known as Sidra) and Pepper. The beginning of the book will make a lot more sense if you've already read book 1, but I suspect you could read and enjoy this book without reading book 1, too.

The book alternates chapters for each of the main characters, with Lovelace/Sidra's story picking up about twenty minutes past the end of book 1, as she flies away to her new life (view spoiler) and the other half filling in backstory for Pepper.

The book had a lot of heart, and I was touched by both the main storylines. If you're looking for space battles and evil aliens you won't find them in this book, but you will find some thoughtful exploration of what it means to be sentient and watch two women make peace with massive changes in their lives. A great antidote to cynicism and angst if you're in need of it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Closed and Common Orbit.

Finished Reading