Keturah Lamb's Reviews > Shadow of the Hegemon

Shadow of the Hegemon by Orson Scott Card

My sister and I listened to the audio of this book in four sittings.
1. While making boots all day (we work for a lady who makes Canty Boots).
2. While making frozen meals all day for someone.
3. While driving another day as we had a bunch of driving time.
4. That same night we came home and sat on my bedroom floor and finished listening to it. I embroidered ;p

Yes, this book was amazing! I definitely loved the first best, but this was still just beyond good. Loved the politics and philosophy. And the villain is just so frighteningly real. I really liked watching Bean grow up more and learn to love . . . and cry . . .

"Bean wiped his eyes on his sleeves, feeling like a little kid as he did it. What a thing to be seen doing in front of his men. But that was just too bad - it would be a far worse sign of weakness to try to conceal it or pathetically ask them not to tell. He did what he did, they saw what they saw, so be it. If Sister Carlotta wasn't worth some tears from someone who owed her as much as Bean did, then what were tears for, and when should they be shed?"

And then I really loved learning more about Petra. And then her and Bean learning to love . . . was just beautiful.

This book had a lot of crude content just like the other book, though maybe not as much? But it was still too much for us. That we didn't like. We work around a lot of little kids, so whenever the kids would come in we'd have to turn the audio off. Which . . . was a bit annoying. But we still got through the book :)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shadow of the Hegemon.

June 21, 2018 – Started Reading